Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports not working on Windows 10 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ajm690

ajm690

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:47 PM

A client brought his desktop into us with the following issue:

A few months back he upgraded to Windows 10 without any issues.  A few days ago his mouse and keyboard stopped working (both are USB).  He brought the machine into us and I took a look at it.  I found that, and I thought this would resolve it, he had a bad hard drive and cloned it.  I installed the new hard drive and the PC booted back into window with no issues except that I still don't have any working USB ports.  The PC only has USB Ports, no PS/2 Ports.  No matter what USB port I plug a mouse or keyboard into it does not register.  I suspect it could be a driver issue, but I can't access the PC at all to check.  Any suggestions?  I am at a loss here.  I want to try and avoid doing a backup and reinstall of windows if possible.  Any help would be much appreciated.  

AJM690

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kaz20

kaz20

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:59 PM

Gona have to use the keyboard shortcuts to navigate through. have you tried safe mode? doubt it would work then but cant hurt trying

#3 ajm690

ajm690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

Can't, no device (keyboard or mouse) works when plugged into the USB Ports.  The PC has 6 USB Ports (4 on the back and 2 on the front).  I have tried them all with multiple keyboards and mouses, no function at all.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:26 PM

Does the keyboard and mouse work in UEFI? If they work in UEFI then I would have to assume it's Windows 10.

You can confirm it by downloading FatDog64Fatdog64-702.iso  Burn the iso to disk and boot to the Fatdog desktop. Attach a USB flash drive. If you see a USB icon appear in the lower left click once on it and the drive will mount. A File Manage will open. If you see your files then your USB ports are good and Windows 10 is the problem. If you have any other live linux disk that would work as well. If the computer does not have an optical drive you can use Rufus with the iso to make a bootable USB flash drive.

I don't know what model the computer is but SecureBoot may need to be disabled in UEFI. 

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 February 2016 - 05:26 PM.

#5 ajm690

ajm690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

I will give that a try, thanks.  Its an older HP Slimline that originally came with Windows 7 that the client had updated to Windows 8.1 and then to Windows 10.  I will look and see if SecureBoot is enabled or disabled in the UEFI, if its enabled I will disable it and see what happens.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,310 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:31 PM

If the computer came pre-installed with Windows 7 I doubt SecureBoot is in UEFI. The computer may even have an old BIOS and not UEFI but Fatdog will boot either way.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:19 PM

OK, you cloned an OS off of a failing hard drive.

There is a good likelyhood that you cloned some bad stuff with it.

Can you select any of the BIOS options?  Try spamming the Esc key as it boots, this should get you to the boot menu.

Spamming the F11 key (if it works) will get you to the System Recovery menu

Can you boot to a disk (such as a Windows installation DVD)?

Does the keyboard/mouse work there?

If none of that works, then it's down to hardware diagnostics by stripdown:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Good Luck!

Edited by usasma, 23 February 2016 - 06:20 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ajm690

ajm690
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:53 AM

The keyboard works in the BIOS and both the keyboard and mouse work when booting to a Windows Disc or into a Linux Disc.  Looks like its a Windows 10 issue.  I am going to run a few more scans and repairs, if that doesn't work then I guess its going to be a data back up and restore.  Thanks for the help.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

If you're looking at a restore, first try a Reset with the Keep My Files option.

This'll keep your data, but will reset Windows (and will remove some of your installed programs).

It's easier than a wipe, and your data stays in the locations that you left it.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users