Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Network choking, do I need a better switch?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mishappp

mishappp

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:07 PM

I have an Arris router my ISP gave me when they upgraded our speeds to about 300/25 and it has been working fine ever since. I'm currently using a D-link router as a bridge for the extra ports in the back of the house which also worked fine up until we switched off our cable and everyone is using Netflix, Hulu etc. Now sometimes it feels like the network is just choking. Youtube videos will render a bit and just freeze for about 30-45 seconds and buffer a little bit more, but sometimes it works just fine. I contacted my ISP and through DSLreports.com and they ran tests and tracerts and I sent tracert results to them as it was happening and they couldn't find anything wrong with their router, does this sound like a choke issue?

Edited by mishappp, 23 February 2016 - 03:08 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

Is it only happening after the router? If it is fine when something is directly plugged into the ISP router, but not fine when plugged into the D-link rouer logic would place fault on the D-link router. If its old it could be failing, or just not keeping up with the speeds/amount of users pushing traffic through. So yeah it could be a choke issue.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 mishappp

mishappp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:14 PM

I will try to determine if it indeed the D-link router, would you or anyone else have a recommendation for what I should replace it with if it is the cause, I need the bridge to be able to extend the wireless through the house, so It cant just be a switch.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:30 PM

The linksys/cisco routers are a good choice. I have a TP-link router that I like. Netgear always seemed to fail after a year or so on me so I tend to stay away from them now.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users