Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Where is the OS files located?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

Can anyone tell me exactly where on my pc are the OS files located please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:57 PM

C:\Windows

#3 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:01 PM

Most of the critical files are in C:\Windows, but they're all over in C:\Program Files (x86), C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData, C:\Windows, C:\Users, etc. Can you be more specific? Which file(s) or kind of file(s) are you looking for?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

ALL of those many files? Reason I'm asking is someone brought a disk titled "recovery media" which he said is supposed to be a bootable disk with the OS on it but when I tried booting from it, it shows "no bootable device present". Looking at the dvd's contents in my explorer view on my machine, I am seeing 2 folders titled "Boot and the other one Sources", aside from those 2 there is only 1 file named "Boot mgr". Does this mean it's an empty bootable disk , that there isn't an OS on it?

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

What size is taking the content of that disk? If the folders are empty, then yes, it means that there's nothing on it. Right now it looks to me like it's indeed a Recovery Media for Windows. Is it for Windows 7 or 8/8.1? Are you trying to boot from the USB explicitely or not?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,534 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

The dvd is 164mb. In My Computer it is showing "Repair Disc windows 7 64-bit". I already installed the OS from my disc, just curious as to what exactly this disc is supposed to do. So if it was a disc with an OS on it, what folder on the disc will contain the OS please?

#7 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:48 PM

164 MB is too small to be an install disc.  For 7 and later, you'd have a DVD with 2 GB or more.  So what you probably have is a repair disc.  I'd throw it away and make my own by going to Control Panel - Backup and Restore -> Create System Repair disc.  If you have an install disc, it has the ability to do a repair as well.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:20 PM

I think a Windows 7 repair disk might be around 300 - 400 MBs.  I have a Windows 7 repair disc lying around somewhere or the other.  If I dig around I might find it and see what files/folders are on it.  Now, I wonder where it went hmm...?

Edited by Agouti, 23 February 2016 - 03:20 PM.

#9 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:07 PM

I was sent Windows7 reinstall / recovery DVD's, Not fresh install,by Toshiba. There was a total of 4 DVD's and sent "home delivery"

Disk #1 is 3.9Gig <<<=(I just checked it) Allow for 15 to 16 Gig on a large USB stick.. Windows 7 takes (on average) 2Gig of your OS.

Since then I have cloned them and it took over 2 large DVD's to fill the information, and I am not sure that I have it all.

If that Helps.

EDIT to add last bit

Edited by Jaycan, 23 February 2016 - 04:11 PM.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

164MBs sounds a bit small. Is it for Windows 7 32 or 64-bit? Also, the full Windows OS is pretty much located in \sources\install.wim on a Windows installation media. But 164MB is a bit too small to contain a full Windows installation, so I think it's just a Recovery CD to access the Recovery PE, not used to reinstall Windows.

unite_blue.png

#11 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:48 PM

Hi Aura.

164MBs sounds a bit small. Is it for Windows 7 32 or 64-bit? Also, the full Windows OS is pretty much located in \sources\install.wim on a Windows installation media. But 164MB is a bit too small to contain a full Windows installation, so I think it's just a Recovery CD to access the Recovery PE, not used to reinstall Windows.

I just checked the content of my first recovery DVD (as I said above)

I was sent Windows7 reinstall / recovery DVD's, Not fresh install,by Toshiba. There was a total of 4 DVD's and sent "home delivery".

Disk #1 is 3.9Gig

So I would estimate this at about 4Gig X 4 DVD's or a 16Gig Memory stick for storage.

Thank You..

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,586 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:49 PM

Your Recovery discs contains a Windows image made by Toshiba for your laptop/computer. That image is restored when you use these Recovery discs to recover the system to its default settings.

unite_blue.png

#13 paulaugust

paulaugust

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:49 AM

The working framework isn't care for a record or something u can simply discover in your reports. The os i like a beautiful interface that u use to deal with every one of the projects and records. 

For instance if u ever known about windows. windows is an os. They have diverse ones tho like windows 98, windows xp, windows vista, and windows 7. 

When you turn on your PC ordinarily u see a windows logo in a dark foundation stacking. That is the os stacking and getting prepared so u can utilize the PC. 

I trust i helped and don't stress you will show signs of improvement at learning thing about PCs.

#14 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:22 AM

Attached File  REGEDIT.JPG   23.23KB   0 downloads

I believe : Once you learn where all the items are in the Hive, you have solved your problem...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users