Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Antivirus advice

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Chris030

Chris030

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hello everybody,

I'm currently running one laptop and one desktop with Windows 10 on both of them. (Also experimenting with Linux just for fun :D)
My post is more like a search for an antivirus because I've seen and read different things and so I wanted to ask you guys.
For example, I've read & heard several times that with Windows 10 you don't need an Antivirus because Windows Defender already does a job that's good enough. Is it true? In what aspects?
Then, there's also the fight between free & paid antivirus were I also read and heard biased opinions about this topic.
And, to end it all, I've heard that when people go for an antivirus of their choice, they should go for a light antivirus so that the system won't be too stressed. Which ones? And how is it really?

I would appreciate responses as I'm at the point where I don't know what I should do with both my devices..
Also if you know some literature, which isn't too complicated, about those questions, throw them at me!
And personal experience would be good of course :-)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Moved topic from General Security to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:53 PM

Windows Defender is an antivirus.  Perhaps that's why you have heard that you don't need one.  Free or paid?  Which one is better?  To quote from quietman7...

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus...

You may want to read the thread I linked to.

Personally, I use Windows Defender (and before that, Microsoft Security Essentials) and I have never been infected.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:59 PM

IMO Windows 8/10 Defender is just as good as any other free antivirus solution (and probably easier to use for the novice) without bundled toolbars or nagging popups...read Is Windows Defender Good Enough.

Windows 8 and Windows 10 integrates a more robust version of Windows Defender (and uses that name) for its anti-virus and anti-malware protection. Windows 8/10 Defender provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems and uses the same daily virus definition updates. If you use Windows 8/10 Defender as your primary anti-virus, there is no need to install another anti-virus solution.

If you prefer not to use Windows 8/10 Defender, then I would recommend either Sophos Home Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications. Anti-virus and Anti-malware solutions with anti-exploitation features protect against zero-day malware, drive-by downloads, exploits and Exploit Kits.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.Please read Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools for information about trustworthy and effective anti-malware programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

So, if I understand correctly, Windows Defender is a good anti-virus with a poor anti-malware protection.

Windows Defender protects good enough for a normal, attentive user?

To be on the safe side, I should back up my anti-virus programm with an anti-malware programm?

Thanks for the brief and clear explanation between both of them as it is now clearer to me.

Also thank you for all the links you provided me with, time to start reading ;-)

If questions to this topic pop up, I'll ask them here.

And if somebody else wants to write his two cents, then go for it :-)

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

So, if I understand correctly, Windows Defender is a good anti-virus with a poor anti-malware protection.

Where did either quietman7 or myself give you that idea?  To quote quietman7...

Although Windows 8/10 Defender provides some anti-malware protection...it is weak, meaning it does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. This is true for most anti-virus solutions. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats.

(Emphasis/highlighting is mines)

Edited by Agouti, 24 February 2016 - 02:18 PM.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

...To be on the safe side, I should back up my anti-virus programm with an anti-malware programm?..

This may be a matter of semantics but to be clear as to what I meant...you need to supplement any anti-virus solution with anti-malware for comprehensive protection for the reasons I noted above.

No single product is 100% foolproof and can prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus/anti-malware researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything. Malware writers have the advantage since no matter how hard security vendors attempt to stay on top of new threats, there is always a short time-frame in which a new malicious file goes undetected and can infect a computer without detection. Just because one anti-virus or anti-malware scanner detected threats that another missed, does not mean its more effective.

Every security vendor's lab uses different scanning engines and different detection methods. Each has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. Scanning engines may use Heuristic Analysis, Behavioral Analysis, Sandboxing and Signature file detection (containing the binary patterns of known virus signatures) which can account for discrepancies in scanning outcomes. Depending on how often the anti-virus or anti-malware database is updated can also account for differences in threat detections. Further, each vendor has its own definition (naming standards) of what constitutes malware and scanning your computer using different criteria will yield different results. The fact that each program has its own definition files means that some malware may be picked up by one that could be missed by another.

Thus, a multi-layered defense using an anti-malware solution and anti-exploitation tools to supplement your anti-virus combined with common sense and following Best Practices for Safe Computing provides the most complete protection.

#7 Chris030

Chris030
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

Oh then I misunderstood it..

So every company has its own anti-virus or anti-malware software and also own database because of their own specific scanning engines?

I'll look on to those linked posts.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,047 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:30 AM

...So every company has its own anti-virus or anti-malware software and also own database because of their own specific scanning engines?..

Essentially yes but they are not all created equal...some are more effective than others. Thus, the combination of both anit-virus and anti-malware provides the most comprehensive protection

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users