Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A question not asked yet

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

A question I have not seen asked yet.  When windows 10 becomes the ONLY windows os is home even going to still be available or our free installs even work anymore?

Will we be required to upgrade to Pay versions like PRO or Enterprise and how much may they cost?

Thank you for reading.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:48 PM

I have no idea why you'd think that Win10 Home would be going away.  The Home and Pro split has been around forever and Microsoft includes same in all their Windows 10 marketing.  The vast majority of non-business-focused computers you can buy out there come loaded with Win10 Home.

I would have to imagine that at some point Microsoft will disable the free upgrade from continuing to work.  That's what they've been saying all along, and it is an enticement for those who want to upgrade but would prefer not to pay.  My gut tells me that the free upgrade period is likely to be extended beyond the end of July 2016, but a gut feeling is all that is.  I don't think that the free upgrade is going to last forever, whether one is using a Home or Pro (or Pro-variant) of Windows 7 or 8/8.1.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:58 AM

The home version isn't going away, but the FREE update as announced will end a year from the date it became generally available according to MS.  Their goal has been to get a billion folks running 10 by the end of that year.  Since 10 was being adopted slower than they wanted, MS has been bearing down more in efforts to get folks to "upgrade".  If they haven't reached that billion user goal after a year, I agree with Brian's gut feeling that they could extend the free upgrade; however MS hasn't said a word about this.  You can buy Windows 10 Home in stores for around $120 if you don't have a qualifying Windows 7 or 8.1 system to upgrade from, and that will continue indefinitely.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,668 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 10:56 AM

A question I have not seen asked yet.  When windows 10 becomes the ONLY windows os is home even going to still be available or our free installs even work anymore?

Will we be required to upgrade to Pay versions like PRO or Enterprise and how much may they cost?

Thank you for reading.

This question has been brought up countless times in the last 18 months and the answer is that it really isn't even a question. Why would Microsoft pull the plug on their number 1 money maker? That would be like Ford stopping production of the F-150. Not going to happen.

To be clear, I have seen versions of this exact question come up repeatedly since October of 2014, so it has been dealt with extensively.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:37 PM

I believe I pre faced my question that I had not seen it asked before, not that it had never been asked. So to me it was a valid question to ask.

How ever if it has been discussed before I will let the matter drop that and due to the seeming lack of interest.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

#6 Atomic77

Atomic77

• Members
  • 213 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 11:30 PM

I believe Windows 10 is forever no matter how you get it. I am sure microsoft will discontinue the free upgrade option when the time comes.

ATOMIC77

​GEEKED AT BIRTH

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 05 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

Well er... just to update this topic with some relevant news.  It seems as though Microsoft is intent on ending the free upgrade offer on July 29.  See this very recent Microsoft blog post...

The free upgrade offer will end on July 29 and we want to make sure you don’t miss out. After July 29th, you’ll be able to continue to get Windows 10 on a new device, or purchase a full version of Windows 10 Home for $119.

Of course, there is no telling whether Microsoft will make an about turn any time between now and July 29 or perhaps even after that deadline date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users