Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Would I need to upgrade anything besides my graphics card?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ChaosKitty

ChaosKitty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:09 PM

Hello! I'm fairly new to PC so I know very little when it comes to upgrading and such , so bear with me. The PC I have now works fine for playing games such as LoL but when I play MMOs I have to run on low settings. I'm assuming I would need a better graphics card to get better fps but I'm not sure if based on what I have now would I need to upgrade anything else. I'm looking to run on at least high settings but I don't want to spend a ton on the graphics card alone if I would need to upgrade anything else. Recommendations would be appreciated as well, thanks in advance. 

I downloaded Speccy, I'm hoping I did it correctly. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:59 PM

That's actually a good platform to upgrade on with the GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard.  You can upgrade the CPU and the GPU, this will get you quite far.  I'm using an FX-8350 CPU and a GTX 980 to good results. 

The FX-8320 and the FX-8350 are both compatible with your motherboard, though you may need to update the motherboard's BIOS.

For the GPU, you will need to check the wattage on your power supply before buying.  I suggest having a 600W or better power supply prior to upgrading the GPU.  That said the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB would be great.  If you have more money, you can go for the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB.  If either card is too expensive, the GIGABYTE Radeon R9 380X DirectX 12 GV-R938XG1 GAMING-4GD would be a solid mid-range card.

3939.png

#3 ChaosKitty

ChaosKitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

That's actually a good platform to upgrade on with the GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard.  You can upgrade the CPU and the GPU, this will get you quite far.  I'm using an FX-8350 CPU and a GTX 980 to good results. 

The FX-8320 and the FX-8350 are both compatible with your motherboard, though you may need to update the motherboard's BIOS.

For the GPU, you will need to check the wattage on your power supply before buying.  I suggest having a 600W or better power supply prior to upgrading the GPU.  That said the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB would be great.  If you have more money, you can go for the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB.  If either card is too expensive, the GIGABYTE Radeon R9 380X DirectX 12 GV-R938XG1 GAMING-4GD would be a solid mid-range card.

Could I get away with just upgrading my GPU first then the CPU later, would just an upgraded GPU make any difference?

I only have a 350W PSU. I was thinking about upgrading to this one.

Edited by ChaosKitty, 23 February 2016 - 02:04 PM.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,441 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:50 PM

Upgraded GPU will make huge difference.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:00 AM

You can easily upgrade the GPU and leave the CPU for later.  Your CPU is an FX-4300 which isn't exactly a quad core processor due to the uniqueness of its design.  If you are gaming at higher settings, you may want to upgrade the processor sooner rather than wait for the next architectural change from AMD or Intel and going with a whole new platform especially if you are going to buy a GTX 970 or better graphics card due to bottlenecks.

Corsair makes good power supplies, so that one will do well.  Other brands to consider are Seasonic and EVGA.

3939.png

#6 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:01 AM

Not exactly sure which MMO's you play, but just as a side note WoW specifically is more CPU based than GPU so upgrading your CPU may be more advantageous. Although, a Nvidia 730 isn't exactly the greatest for graphical processing either. Personally i would check my cpu load while playing said MMO's and see where you're sitting at. If it's taxed, then i'd probably go upgrade to an 8350. Any upgrade in your graphics card is going to require a new power supply. The one you linked would be good for almost all current video cards. 

#7 ChaosKitty

ChaosKitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

Not exactly sure which MMO's you play, but just as a side note WoW specifically is more CPU based than GPU so upgrading your CPU may be more advantageous. Although, a Nvidia 730 isn't exactly the greatest for graphical processing either. Personally i would check my cpu load while playing said MMO's and see where you're sitting at. If it's taxed, then i'd probably go upgrade to an 8350. Any upgrade in your graphics card is going to require a new power supply. The one you linked would be good for almost all current video cards. 

Black Desert is the main one ill be playing. Which seems way more graphic based. Thanks for the info.

#8 Highjinks

Highjinks

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:38 PM

Yeah black desert is much more graphically intense than most current MMO's. I would personally go for at least a Nvidia GTX 970 and upgrade the cpu as well. but that really just depends on how much you're looking to spend. I spent $1400 on a 2k monitor and a GTX 980TI in preparation... :bananas:  

#9 Mars86

Mars86

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 05:57 AM

I would not upgrade to the FX8350 and I would maybe upgrade to the FX 8320 on that motherboard but it lacks 6.2 or 8.2 power phasing (it has 4.1). Meaning, the mainboard could potentially throttle down at times causing a FPS loss because  the boards mosfets and 4.1 power phase can't handle the heat. Water cooling would help. What I would do is get a high quality 600+W power supply and then get an FX 6300 with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. That way both idle and load temperatures would be quite cool, and you can then overclock it very safely to about 4.2 GHZ (since it's 95W TDP vs. the FX 8350 @ 125W TDP) even on that board. Next up, I would save some money with the GPU and get a R9 380x.  If you want to save even more money just get the quality power supply and a nice GPU. That is a great start.

The R9 380x and the power supply like these units here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096&cm_re=seasonic_620w-_-17-151-096-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150761&cm_re=XFX_R9_380x-_-14-150-761-_-Product

And if you have any questions about how the R9 380x performs over the previous R9 280x have a look at this very demanding game with just the R9 380 (non X)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxBLJ1X3K1A

Edited by Mars86, 27 February 2016 - 05:58 AM.

#10 ChaosKitty

ChaosKitty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 06:08 PM

I would not upgrade to the FX8350 and I would maybe upgrade to the FX 8320 on that motherboard but it lacks 6.2 or 8.2 power phasing (it has 4.1). Meaning, the mainboard could potentially throttle down at times causing a FPS loss because  the boards mosfets and 4.1 power phase can't handle the heat. Water cooling would help. What I would do is get a high quality 600+W power supply and then get an FX 6300 with a Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo. That way both idle and load temperatures would be quite cool, and you can then overclock it very safely to about 4.2 GHZ (since it's 95W TDP vs. the FX 8350 @ 125W TDP) even on that board. Next up, I would save some money with the GPU and get a R9 380x.  If you want to save even more money just get the quality power supply and a nice GPU. That is a great start.

The R9 380x and the power supply like these units here.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151096&cm_re=seasonic_620w-_-17-151-096-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150761&cm_re=XFX_R9_380x-_-14-150-761-_-Product

And if you have any questions about how the R9 380x performs over the previous R9 280x have a look at this very demanding game with just the R9 380 (non X)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxBLJ1X3K1A

Here's what I've decided on. I'm worried they don't really match up, could you guys let me know if this would work out?

CPU or the FX 6300

GPU

Power Supply

Fan

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2016 - 10:37 PM

They should work together.