Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about desktop memory types: pc2100 vs pc2700

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 markba633csi

markba633csi

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:01 PM

I was wondering if  333 mhz memory would function in a desktop that normally used 266 mhz? Are there differences in footprint or electrical or pin count which would prevent this? I am not trying to speed up a computer, just consolidate my memory types between two machines.

thanks,

Mark S.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

PC2100 and PC2700 have long been interchangeable on systems/motherboards requiring that mode of RAM.

PC2100 vs PC2700

Louis

#3 davidsouren

davidsouren

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

Hello Mark,

The two memory types are the same physically and _should_ be compatible. There are exceptions..... some older systems used memory with a specific memory clock setting and if it's wrong, it might not work. I would recommend that you first do a Google search on the PC 2100 memory you have to determine its exact type... it should be either ECC or non-ECC and have a stated speed and clock setting (like CL1 CL9, etc.) Do the same thing with the memory you want to use and compare. Some systems don't care about the clock, some are very specific so also visit either the system manufacturer's site or a memory vendor like Kingston, and look-up the type that they recommend for your computer. In theory, you should also be able to use PC 3200 memory too, but I would recommend that all the memory you use be rated the same, don't try and mix the memory speeds. The good news is that even if the chips aren't fully compatible with your system trying them out won't do any damage, so give them a try.

Good luck!

Dave Souren

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:28 PM

IMO...a system running plain DDR...is likely to have a bigger problem with highj-density versus low-density...than any conflict imagined re compatibility between PC2100 and PC2700.

In general, non-ECC RAM is the norm for most PCs,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BAVsy_lYfY

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 23 February 2016 - 02:34 PM.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:04 PM

When I want to upgrade RAM, I always go to the crucial.com web site, download their tool, and run it.  That will examine your system and make recommendations of your choices.  You can buy from them if you want to, but you don't have to.  Their prices are usually reasonable, but sometimes you might find better prices in a local store once you know what to look for.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

I was wondering if  333 mhz memory would function in a desktop that normally used 266 mhz? Are there differences in footprint or electrical or pin count which would prevent this? I am not trying to speed up a computer, just consolidate my memory types between two machines.

thanks,

Mark S.

There are different "footprints" as you say for different memory types, typically it is defined by the "DDR" type...DDR, DDR2, DDR3, and the newest, DDR4.  Within each type there are different speed ranges, such as the PC2100 and PC2700 you mentioned.

Motherboards will support a certain type of memory (DDR2, DDR3, etc) and will also support up to a certain maximum speed and amont of memory.  To use your example, if your motherboard will support PC2700 memory, it will usually also work with PC2100...memory speed for the supported type is almost always backwards compatible to slower speeds.  Unless the fastest speed supported is too expensive, there is no reason to put slower memory in it.

Also, don't mix different speeds of memory.  If you want PC2700 in it, then use all PC2700 sticks, don't put a stick of 2100 and a stick of 2700 in it.

Consult your manufacturers site, or user manual to find out the type and the fastest speed and maximum amount of memory your motherboard will support.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users