Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Just updatet to W10 and have some problems and questions

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 myym

myym

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:30 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:44 AM

1- I recently updatet my laptop from W7 to W10 but I have difficulty in actiavtion of my license. In W7 I used to receive a notification that my OS was not activated something which I had been struggling for a while, but W7 came with this laptop when I bought it, its a Home Premium.

I have used my W7 license but it does not accept it and it only gives me two options, either change the key or go to the store, what do I need to do to accept this license?

2- There is a windows.old folder seems to contain more than 40 Gb, can I just delete it without affecting the current OS?

3- Under the program files x86 folder there are my previous installed programs but don't seem to have access to them through start button. Do I need to install those programs again? Can I delete these files too?

4- Audio and Elan touch pad mouse are not working, is it possible to reinstall them? I can only see W7 drivers at Acer for these two devices.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:54 AM

Hi there,

I recently updatet my laptop from W7 to W10 but I have difficulty in actiavtion of my license. In W7 I used to receive a notification that my OS was not activated something which I had been struggling for a while, but W7 came with this laptop when I bought it, its a Home Premium.

I have used my W7 license but it does not accept it and it only gives me two options, either change the key or go to the store, what do I need to do to accept this license?

Was your Windows 7 activated? Normally you Windows 10 is then also automatic activated.

2- There is a windows.old folder seems to contain more than 40 Gb, can I just delete it without affecting the current OS?

Yes, it's the Windows 7 installation. If you don't want to go back you can delete them using the cleaner. (cleanmgr.exe) Information about Windows.old can be found here.

3- Under the program files x86 folder there are my previous installed programs but don't seem to have access to them through start button. Do I need to install those programs again? Can I delete these files too?

Can you search for them and then open them? Normally the programs should be there and no don't delete those files since the programs will not work then.

4- Audio and Elan touch pad mouse are not working, is it possible to reinstall them? I can only see W7 drivers at Acer for these two devices.

What is your exact laptop model? I'll search for drivers that work with Windows 10.

Hopefully this gives you some answers.

Edited by Markimoo, 23 February 2016 - 10:54 AM.

#3 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:07 AM

Thanks for the prompt reply Markimoo.

In W7 control panel I could see it was activated but it kept sending a notification that it was not, I even entered the license but it wouldn't accept it so I didn't do anything as I received updates, but it is a genuine software.

For example if I want to open a pdf file it doesn't and I think its the same for other softwares I earlier used such as Office. If I go to control panel-> system -> apps and functions I don't see my earlier programs in the list.

The laptop is Acer aspire 5750g, and there are drivers only for W7 and some few W8 which I don't need them on my laptop.

I have the W7 installation dvds so I will delete the windows.old folder, as I can reinstall W7 if this W10 keeps bugging me.

Edited by myym, 23 February 2016 - 11:09 AM.

#4 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:20 AM

Hi there,

Thanks for the prompt reply Markimoo.

You're welcome!

In W7 control panel I could see it was activated but it kept sending a notification that it was not, I even entered the license but it wouldn't accept it so I didn't do anything as I received updates, but it is a genuine software.

Windows 7 said it was activated or not? Not sure about this right now.

For example if I want to open a pdf file it doesn't and I think its the same for other softwares I earlier used such as Office. If I go to control panel-> system -> apps and functions I don't see my earlier programs in the list.

PDF files don't open or in the wrong program?

The laptop is Acer aspire 5750g, and there are drivers only for W7 and some few W8 which I don't need them on my laptop.

Thanks, I'll search for it.

I have the W7 installation dvds so I will delete the windows.old folder, as I can reinstall W7 if this W10 keeps bugging me.

If you don't delete the Windows.old you can go back in the next 30 days to Windows 7 without doing an clean installation.

Edit: I've found drivers for your model here. I would say, give it a try.

Edited by Markimoo, 23 February 2016 - 11:22 AM.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

When you upgrade to Windows 10, you have 30 days in which you can revert to the previous operating system.  The windows.old folder is there to help with reverting.  I would not recommend that you delete it.  I believe you should revert to Windows 7 and clear up the matter with your Windows activation before updating to Windows 10.  You may have to call Microsoft.

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

From reading all of the comments in this thread, it seems that maybe the OP never had an authentic Microsoft licensed copy of Windows 7. If the computer kept on prompting you to install a genuine copy of Windows 7, and it did not accept your 16 digit license number as legitimate, then maybe you had a pirate copy. That would definitely throw a 16" crescent wrench into the works of installing Windows 10.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:33 AM

Well in control panel I could see the authentification sign as W7 was genuine.

No pdf files can open.

How can I revert back using windows.old folder? 

The license is real, not a pirate

Edited by myym, 23 February 2016 - 11:34 AM.

#8 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:37 AM

From reading all of the comments in this thread, it seems that maybe the OP never had an authentic Microsoft licensed copy of Windows 7. If the computer kept on prompting you to install a genuine copy of Windows 7, and it did not accept your 16 digit license number as legitimate, then maybe you had a pirate copy. That would definitely throw a 16" crescent wrench into the works of installing Windows 10.

Not sure if the TS is lying now or not... :(

No pdf files can open.

See this link about how you can go back.

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:43 PM

No pdf files can open.

Unfortunately if you have a pirated copy of Windows 7 we can't help you here at Bleeping Computer. Maybe you should call Microsoft and confirm the status of your copy of Windows 7.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#10 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:02 PM

I don't know about your activation problem, I think the advice to call Microsoft and get that straightened out is what I would do.  About your PDF files though, Edge will open them.  Just right-click a PDF file and point to "Open with" and click Microsoft Edge.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

Edge does open all PDF files, but the look is kind of different than Adobe Acrobat. I use Edge once in a while to open PDF files with, so the OP should have no problem if the PDF file is already stored on his computer. If the PDF file is on the internet and he is using a different web browser, he might need to install Adobe.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 myym

myym
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:08 PM

Rocky I think you need to spare your tme on something that enriches you rather than wasting time

#13 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,719 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

"I have the W7 installation dvds so I will delete the windows.old folder"

Please do not delete the windows.old folder. 

EDIT: If you do that if I don't that you will be able to revert back to W7 normally

As mentioned you have 30 days to revert back to your previous operating system: in your case I would do that immediately.

How to Go Back to the Previous Windows from Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4097-windows-10-go-back-previous-windows.html

After that the W7 activation issue can be addressed 

Before upgrading to Windows 10 a system needs to be completely up-do-date and in good order

NOTE: It's a good thing you have the W7 installation DVDs but if you go that route you will have to do all the Windows Updates and everything else involved which is much more time consuming than reverting back to the previous OS

Edited by cmptrgy, 23 February 2016 - 05:40 PM.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:23 AM

Rocky I think you need to spare your tme on something that enriches you rather than wasting time

Thanks. It is just that this issue seems so challenging that I would like to see a positive resolution. :thumbup2:

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 bwasi

bwasi

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

Thank God  i keep my xp  :bananas:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users