Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bios problem

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pogs1

Pogs1

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:45 AM

Hi All 

I have an HP 6000 series desktop that was purchased a year or so ago brand new, surplus to requirements that was set up for networking. with it came upgrading discs for Windows 7. So now support for XP is ending, I thought that I would upgrade to Windows 7 as a step up to Windows10.

With the discs came the full instructions plus password to do this.

I have copied all the files etc to an external hard drive.
Now following the step by step instructions, I have come across a small problem.
I am able to get into BIOS, enter password etc, then into security where it asks for the password again. this is where it came unstuck, I was able to move the cursor up and down but unable to type any numbers or letters, any suggestions as to how I can get past this stage?
The reason for going into BIOS is to remove any existing passwords and make the cd rom the primary boot device.
ps I have always had to go to 'my computer' to start the CD-ROM, so the existing setup may be the reason why.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:55 AM

On a HP desktop you should be able to clear the password using the jumper on the motherboard. Before you do this unplug your power and hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Remove the side panel and then touch some bare metal on the case to first ground yourself.

On the back of the computer is the full model number it could be P607x or P708x, This will determine what motherboard you have and the jumper location. Please provide the model number in your next post.

Edit: Is this the desktop you have?

47815-hp-compaq-6000-pro-box.jpg

Or this one

c03120399.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 23 February 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#3 Pogs1

Pogs1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:10 PM

Hi JohnC-21
Thanks for coming back so promptly, the info that I have is;-
No. on back of computer CZC019747R
Product No. AT492AV
No. on motherboard 104310211A0307482 VER A03
The Computer model is a Compac 6000 Pro small form factor which has a win7 downgraded to XP pro OS.
I hope that this info helps
The Model looks more like the top picture but with vertical Lightscribe DVD and the two small jack plug holes are vertical at the bottom of the 4 USB ports

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

Your support page

See this page of the manual. The jumper is supposed to be green, probably labeled PWD CLR or something similar, and should be near the CMOS battery. Pushing the CMOS button will not clear the password. Here is the IPSM showing the motherboard but I do not see the jumper for clearing the password as outlined on page 3 of the IPSM.

Here is a guide on removing the side panel

I would try a different keyboard first.  Is this a USB keyboard or a PS2 keyboard? If USB try another USB port on the computer. If a PS2 then try a USB keyboard.

#5 Pogs1

Pogs1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

Thank you for your help

I can see the green jumper on the motherboard and it is marked PWD CLR or something like that.

The Keyboard was supplied by HP specifically for this model of Computer, however I will borrow another one to see if it makes any difference first.

I do recall a while back that I was unable to get into safe mode and I am wondering if maybe there is something in the networking set up to prevent the user from playing with the pc

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:24 PM

Being unable to enter safe mode should have nothing to do with the Network Setup. In fact I have a HP pavilion that for some reason does not go into safe mode when tapping F8. The closest I can get to anything is tapping Esc at boot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users