Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Media Test Failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JRenj

JRenj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

Hello To all

Hello.I am new to this forum and this is the first time i posting.
I am having a problem when I boot my PC. After the BIOS screen I receive this error:

For Realtek RTL8111B/8111C Gigabit Ethernet Controller v2.14
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable
PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM.
Operating System not found.

I can install my OS and I can't Format the HDD. It gives me error and then restart again and again.

Thanks,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:20 AM

Hello JRenj, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

The error you are getting is because the Pre eXecution Environment in your system cannot find bootable media. Make sure that the HDD is properly connected, is detected in the BIOS and is first in the boot order.

Please fill us in a bit more on the circumstances of this occurring. I'm guessing you meant to say you can not install an OS, and are unable to format the HDD. Are you trying to install a new HDD? Where are you trying to format the hard drive from?

Edited by Platypus, 23 February 2016 - 08:20 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:28 PM

This is typically due to one of two things:

Your BIOS boot order has PXE boot set first in the boot order (that means it is trying to make a network connection to a server to pull an image to the disk), or your hard drive is not being recognized, or any other drives in the boot order and is getting down to the PXE boot.

Go into your BIOS boot order and make sure your hard drive shows and that it is #1 in the boot order.

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:18 PM

Did you get this computer from a business? Sounds like it was connected to a network/server.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users