Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

File Copy Errors in Lucid Puppy

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:31 AM

Hello,

On another board, I recently posted a query about trying to rescue my files from a netbook with Windows 7 Starter before doing a factory reset. Puppy Linux was recommended to me, so I followed a guide for copying files in Puppy from my hard drive to my flash drive. But whenever I've tried to do this, when the "copy" dialogue box displays the message that the process is complete, it also states that there are X number of errors. (I've also noticed that there are a few vital files that aren't even showing up in Puppy before I even start to copy anything). How do I figure out what the problem is?

Thanks for any help in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:44 AM

Hi ohevshalomel,

It's possibly a problem with the hard drive. Were you having problems with Windows?

If you could post a link to the guide you were following I'll take a look at that too.

#3 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:24 AM

This is the guide that I was following: https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html

I was having (self-inflicted) problems with Windows. The hard drive seemed to be fine, but I had stupidly deleted registry keys crucial for the operation of the keyboard and mouse in both normal and safe modes. I didn't see any way around it but to do a factory reset.

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:44 AM

Have you tested the hard drive at all? If so, what did you use?

That would be the first thing I would do given the error message you're getting.

It's also possible that the flash drive is at fault. Have you tried a different one?

#5 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:46 AM

Well, both flash drives I have seem okay. When I take the backup flash drive out of my broken computer and put it into a working one, all the files that had been copied do show up. (Plus, I bought it brand new just for the purpose, so it'd better work, haha.)

Something makes me think that I tested the hard drive before I even went through all this in an attempt to go through every last setting on the HP Recovery Manager on my broken machine to see what might bring my computer back. I thought the hard drive tested OK. What tests would you recommend?

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,700 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:22 AM

Something makes me think that I tested the hard drive before I even went through all this

What test did you use?

Also:

I've also noticed that there are a few vital files that aren't even showing up in Puppy before I even start to copy anything

What type(s) of files are these?

#7 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2016 - 01:49 AM

Well, today, I launched Hiren's Boot CD and booted into Parted Magic. I did both the short and long self-tests under GSmartControl (Disk Health), both of which came back fine. I also just repeated the tests I think I did way back that I was talking about, which were HP System Diagnostics tests (F2), both the Hard Disk Test (which I think is essentially no different from the GSmartControl tests) and Memory Test. It passed both.

The files that I thought were missing were .odt files, but I found them under the general folder for users, not the folder with my username, which was weird.

I tried to copy files using Parted Magic to my backup flash drive, but I got errors with that, too. The main one was "operation not permitted", which makes me wonder: should I be trying to copy files as an admin?

#8 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2016 - 12:11 AM

*BUMP*

#9 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 493 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2016 - 06:55 AM

The files that I thought were missing were .odt files, but I found them under the general folder for users, not the folder with my username, which was weird.

I tried to copy files using Parted Magic to my backup flash drive, but I got errors with that, too. The main one was "operation not permitted", which makes me wonder: should I be trying to copy files as an admin?

The first part implies to me that when you went to save the files, it went to a default location;  perhaps you simply forgot to chose where to save them or you ran the program (LibreOffice) as another user instead of yourself (perhaps root?).

The second part, sounds like a permissions issue, the "user" that you are trying to copy as does not have read permissions on the files or write permissions to the flash drive.  Trying as admin would likely work around these.    You should be able to see the permissions on the files;  that would give you a clue.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#10 ohevshalomel

ohevshalomel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2016 - 02:49 AM

I don't know. The "missing" files were saved to "My Documents" on Windows, under my username. But when I brought the files up in Parted Magic (before even trying to copy them), the files I thought were missing actually appeared in a different folder on the partition.

I thought it might be a permissions issue, too. But my brother (via Facebook chat) walked me through a few terminal checks in Parted Magic (ROXTerm), and permissions are not a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users