Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

want to adjust and delete nonworking shortuct to Google Chrom

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:49 PM

This is made in Windows 10.

I just tried to create a shortuct to the desktop for Google Chrome and make it Incognito but trying this has put a non-working shortuct onto the desktop, and there is now also a working shortuct to the incognito mode of google Chrome.  I want to delete the non-working shortcut, but I cannot delete it.  Windows will not let me delete it.  Trying to do anything with it, "could not find this item".

How do I get a working normal mode shortcut and also a working incognito mode shortcut, and to also DELETE the current nonworking normal mode shortcut?

Edited by cafejose, 22 February 2016 - 09:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

After a search on the internet, I tried this:

Right Clicked the desktop and chose Refresh.  Dragged the nonworking shortcut to Google Chrome to the recycle bin, and recycle bin accepted the shortcut item. 

I had already removed the "incognito" from the remaining shortcut of the desktop to Chrome, making this one a normal mode Chrome shortcut. and this shortcut still works.

I still wish I understood this better and am interested in any explanations that members can give.  Also, I would like to still be able to have shortcuts on the desktop both for Google Chrome normal mode AND Google Chrome Incognito mode.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:52 AM

Create Desktop Shortcut To Launch Chrome In Incognito Mode By Default

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:41 PM

Agouti, I have a question before I try.

Do I choose "Paste", or do I choose "Paste Shortcut"?  Will this difference be important?

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

The pasted shortcut copies with a different shortcut path.  The shortcut goes to Admin and not Public for its path.  Is this important?  I believe it is.The normal working shortcut is in  Users/Public/Public Desktop..

When I tried copy and Paste Shortcut, the path shown in details was  Users/Admin/Desktop.

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 02:29 PM

Can you post some screenshots?

#7 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:54 PM

Can you post some screenshots?

I will need to retry the whole process.  I had been able to remove or delete the new icon, as I said earlier.  Before trying to make the new shortcut again, I must ask:  Do I choose Paste, or Paste Shortcut?  

#8 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:19 AM

Some screenshots would really help.

#9 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

I'm trying this again.  I went through the path in Programs x86 to the chrome application item and right clicked, and selected Send to ..... Desktop (make shortcut).

This put a new shortcut to google chrome for normal mode onto the desktop.  BOTH the ordinary normal mode shortcut and the new shortcut  (both are still for normal mode), still work.  No other changes nor adjustments made yet.

I am including two snip-shots  (not whole screen shots):

this will have to wait until I look for how to sign in to the image hosting account.  The images are still on just the computer.  I am posting this message now, anyway.

Edited by cafejose, 25 February 2016 - 07:10 PM.

#10 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,149 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

Finally found how to get a working desktop shortcut icon for chrome's opening directly to Incognito mode and described here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606463/adding-new-desktop-shortcut-icon-for-google-chrome-in-incognito-mode-on-windows/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users