Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My father's computer has a major adware issue

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Kamakzie

Kamakzie

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:03 PM

I remember coming to this site years ago and getting help for adware and malware problems. I tried my own thing on my dad's computer and there still seems to be something making pop-up ads. I remember the site helping users out. Could someone help me with this issue? When he tries going to his bank's website to do online banking it pops up all sorts of ads in Firefox. Very annoying! I ran Malwarebytes anti-malware and Windows defender and neither seemed to do the job. 

Thank you very much!

Edited by Queen-Evie, 22 February 2016 - 09:24 PM.
moved from Windows 10 Support to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

In Firefox, go to Tools -> Add-ons -> Extensions.  Type Adblock Plus in the search box, then install it.  That works for me.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 rpbtf

rpbtf

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Hello,

do a Malware Scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/). Be sure to include the search for Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP).

Ralf

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,512 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:02 PM

uBlock Origin is another Firefox addon that works similarly to Adblock Plus.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#5 Kamakzie

Kamakzie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:54 PM

Hello,

do a Malware Scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/). Be sure to include the search for Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUP).

Ralf

Thanks it seems like a combination of using that program and refreshing Firefox fixed the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users