Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Not a single display manager working...

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:05 PM

Hello, 

I have a custom built with specs in my signature. I previously had ubuntu with gnome classic and it would work. After trying bleachbit, which trashed my whole system, I had to reinstall. As before, I installed slim as the display manager but couldn't find where to install gnome classic. Attempting to login with unity logs in with no windows or anything. Trying to log in with gnome gives me the Xsession unsupported number of arguments (2) error which brings up no solutions online. When attempting to login with KDE the bar goes all the way to the end, freezes and sends me back to the login screen. As a last attempt I tried xfce which works but the text is pretty messed up.

The second issue i'm having is that randomly clicking on X buttons or launching firefox will log me out, but not always. I also was logged in once when randomly everything started glitching. The background got corrupted and all the windows and everything. I do not believe this was a GPU issue as it did not persist after a reboot.

Thanks for all the help,

Chicken

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:53 AM

Hi Chicken,

To get a clearer picture of your system, did you install all these desktops separately?

When you "reinstalled," was that Ubuntu with the Unity desktop that you installed?

Could you also please explain exactly what you mean by "couldn't find where to install gnome classic"?

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

I installed all of these separately. When I reinstalled I installed ubuntu unity. My previous installation had gnome and gnome classic. I wanted gnome classic because it was the only thing that worked previously. I couldn't find a gnome classic package and when I installed gnome-shell there was no gnome classic desktop.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:35 AM

I'm not sure what might have gone wrong.

When I reinstalled I installed ubuntu unity

If your system doesn't work and you're reinstalling again, I suggest making sure that Ubuntu Unity works properly before installing any additional desktops.

Edited by Al1000, 24 February 2016 - 06:36 AM.

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:24 AM

Unity has text issues and I prefer other desktops. Unity also has the random log out issue.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:46 AM

I'm not suggesting that you have to use Unity. I'm just suggesting to make sure that it works after installation, before installing any additional desktops.

#7 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

Ok. I have had the unity text issues no matter how I've installed ubuntu. With my recent graphics card I think driver issues plague unity.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:57 PM

hi Captain_Chicken

If you think it may be drivers, you can confirm that or eliminate it from the list of suspects by changing to the Nouveau (X-Org) driver in Additional Drivers and rebooting after installation. Nouveau is the alternative for nVidia, provided by Linux.

If you wish to proceed with installing Gnome, the following might be of interest to you:

From Googled "ubuntu gnome classic" and "ubuntu 15.10 gnome classic"

1st - http://askubuntu.com/questions/613336/gnome-classic-for-15-04

2nd - http://askubuntu.com/questions/717666/old-classic-gnome-on-ubuntu-15-10

3rd - http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/04/install-gnome-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-14-04/

I hadn't tried multiple desktop choices with Ubuntu prior to this Topic. I found all of them informative, but particularly the 3rd one, indirectly. It featured the command

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

The computer I am writing from is running 15.04 Unity "Vivid Vervet". Using the "fallback" option provided the following output:

chris@Hermes:~$ sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
[sudo] password for chris:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Package gnome-session-fallback is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  gnome-session-flashback

E: Package 'gnome-session-fallback' has no installation candidate
chris@Hermes:~$

I then substituted "flashback" for "fallback" and repeated and it took.

My /usr/share/xsessions now looks like this

B0GrFz8.png

... and those options are now available at login.

Still gotta couple more options, and I hope they help, not hinder nor confuse.

1. 15.10 has a MATE choice, which I am using on my main machine. MATE was forked from Gnome 2, and you might like it. You could install it over your existing install after trying it Live.
  2. Not all roads lead to Rome, but if all other options fail, you might try testing your memory sticks one by one, I am guessing with 16GB RAM you have at least two.

Finally, screenshots would help.

As a BC Advisor, you are likely aware that posting screenshots is done differently in Linux & Unix than elsewhere. If not, the following are options:

If you need to know how to post a screenshot in the Linux Section, you can read, at Linux How-To and Tutorial Section, NickAu's Topic “How to post a screenshot Linux style”. Or click

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558714/how-to-post-a-screen-shot-linux-style/

or for more choices in Image Hosting sites, see Moderator Stolen's Post here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536686/how-do-i-post-a-screen-shot/?hl=%2Btinypic+%2Bimgur+%2Bphotobucket#entry3386653

There is also one I found in December, when helping a Member, called postimage.org (then postimg.org) which achieves the same results.

Good luck and cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:16 AM

After trying bleachbit, which trashed my whole system, I had to reinstall.

Captain_Chicken, you've joined the club! :angry:

Not a pleasant one to be a part of either, as myself & I believe Nick has had similar results. BleachBit is a dangerous tool to be using, as well as 'Computer Janitor', another like tool in the Software Manager. This is why we don't recommend cleaning tools for Linux, no more than we recommend registry cleaners & 'tune-up utilities' for Windows. All are lethal tools to be using. 

Linux installs doesn't take up massive space with unused Temp System files, maybe 300-400MiB, if one is that low on drive space, time for a new one. My root partition is 40GiB & uses less than 9GB of it. The real garbage is in the /home partition, where BleachBit doesn't reach, if one uses the same /home partition for a few major releases after not formatting, there will be 5-15GiB of garbage, some files no longer compatible with what one's now running & affects speed. I found this out when installing a larger drive to hold my virtual machines in /home, wow what a mess of files there were on the old /home partition after examining once I got my system back up & running. It had been used since at least Mint 12 (possibly 11) through 17 & still going. At any rate, there's a lot more on the /home partition than those dozen or so folders we see on the desktop. It's also where many of our configuration files are stored. 

To avoid a mess of files being transferred to the new drive, copied everything needed to an external (NTFS is fine), installed the new HDD, formatted half of the 1TiB HDD as /home, created various Windows data partitions, and left 4GiB for Swap at the end of the drive. Then post clean install, copied my personal folders back over, including my VM's. 

Later on, before wiping my WD RE4 500GiB HDD that had been a combo of Mint /home & Windows data, deleted all of the content in the folders, and there was over 14GB of data left! Used some Search tool to examine the contents, some had dates of close to 4 years back. That drive came out of my prior PC & into this one, so had gone through a lot of 'fresh upgrades', just formatting root, and assigning /home & Swap, but didn't format over. Had I known what I then did, would had moved everything prior to every major release, formatted all, and copied the good back over. 

Point being, if BleachBit was worth it's weight at all, would also had cleaned up much of that clutter, yet who knows what damage would be done in the process. That's where the real garbage was, not the few hundred GiB's of Temp files in root. 

Now you know by firsthand experience, to leave BleachBit alone. If you wish to clean up anything, your browser's cache is a great place to start. :)

For the most part, the Linux root filesystem does a good job of cleaning up behind itself. :thumbup2:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:09 AM

Ok. I have had the unity text issues no matter how I've installed ubuntu.

What are these issues?

With my recent graphics card I think driver issues plague unity.

What version of Ubuntu is this, and do you know what graphics driver its using?

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:34 AM

Where would I find these drivers? When I open additional drivers it says error looking for drivers. The issue with text I'm having is text disappearing and reappearing. I'll try those other solutions later today.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,716 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 07:47 AM

Where is the text disappearing and reappearing? From the terminal, or from a Libre Office document, for example?

Where would I find these drivers?

Please post the output of this command
sudo lshw -c video | grep -i configuration
Please also tell us what version of Ubuntu you're using, for example 14.04 or 15.04 etc.

Edited by Al1000, 25 February 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

Thanks wizardfromoz! I can now run gnome with the only the text issue remaining!
Don't think this is a ram issue. I ran a few passes of memtest and there were no problems.

There it is with gnome.
screenshot-from-2016-02-25-16-24-44.png

Using ubuntu 15.10
Output:
       configuration: driver=nouveau latency=0
       configuration: driver=i915 latency=0

Update: uh oh! I had minecraft launcher open and went to click on a link when it logged me out! I can't login to gnome now, it starts loading the desktop and in the top right corner a bunch of system problems detected showed up in the corner! All other desktops work as before.

Edited by Captain_Chicken, 25 February 2016 - 04:37 PM.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 05:05 PM

Syslog:

Spoiler

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#15 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken
  • Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:10 PM

Good new everyone! I used additional drivers and switched to a proprietary driver which fixed the issues! I'll keep you guys posted for any more issues that pop up.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users