Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to preserve settings/apps when doing a fresh install on a new drive?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ravenbar

Ravenbar

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

I've got a new SSD on the way to replace my failing boot drive on my main system. I have all my data saved on another drive and this drive is just for the operating system and software packages.

I'm looking for a way to keep my software and settings when I swap the drive out.

As cat1092 pointed out in another thread, cloning the drive would just copy the errors, so that's out.

Other than go through with a pad of paper and record all the packages that I have installed, what are the options?

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,975 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:56 AM

How did you install the software? If you used the terminal:
history | grep install
..will display a list of all the commands containing the word "install" that you have typed in the terminal.

history | grep install > mysoftware
...will write the list to a file called mysoftware in your home directory

Edited by Al1000, 23 February 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#3 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:35 PM

How did you install the software? If you used the terminal:

history | grep install
..will display a list of all the commands containing the word "install" that you have typed in the terminal.

history | grep install > mysoftware
...will write the list to a file called mysoftware in your home directory

Installed via a combination of Synaptic Package Manager and the command line. I'll give those commands a try to see what I come up with.

Desktops: "John2" Custom, Gigabyte F2A88Xm-D3H, AMD 6A-5400K Trinity 3.6Ghz Dual-Core APU, 16Gb DDR3  HyperX Fury 1866Mhz RAM, 120Gb Crucial Force LS SSD OS) Linux Mint 17.3, 320Gb Raid1 array consisting of (1) Seagate ST320LT020-9YG14 & (1) Fujitsu MZH2320B

Francisco: HP pavilion p7-1080t upgraded with 16Gb ram. Windows 7. Used only for Gaming

Server.GaltsGulch: HP Elite 8300 Small Form Factor, i7-3770, 16Gb ram, Kingston SSDNow 120Gb SSD, 3Tb storage HDD, Fedora Linux/Avahi, Headless

#4 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 878 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:18 AM

Have you tried using Aptik

http://www.howtogeek.com/206454/how-to-backup-and-restore-your-apps-and-ppas-in-ubuntu-using-aptik/?PageSpeed=noscript

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:12 AM

In addition to what Gary has suggested above, there's also TimeShift, which can also create a bootable clone of your OS. 

Both Aptik & TimeShift are by the same developer & works on any Linux OS that's based on Ubuntu. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/206491/how-to-restore-your-ubuntu-linux-system-to-its-previous-state/

What TimeShift doesn't do is clone the entire drive, just the root partition. It's also considered to be a System Restore like app for these OS's, and good to use post restore of your new OS on the SSD. If you don't have a root, /home & Swap partitions (the recommended install type) & just have the OS's home directory in the root partition, TimeShift will restore everything other than Swap. 

There is even a Clone function, yet it's not like that of backup software, so the issue in regards to bad sectors will not be one with TimeShift. What I'm unsure of is if the Clone function keeps the size of the partition the same as the original. At any rate, this is something good to have, once settled into your new SSD. That way, should you install something & the OS is broken, you have a physical System Restore point on hand to undo damage. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:40 PM

In addition to what Gary has suggested above, there's also TimeShift, which can also create a bootable clone of your OS. 

Both Aptik & TimeShift are by the same developer & works on any Linux OS that's based on Ubuntu. 

http://www.howtogeek.com/206491/how-to-restore-your-ubuntu-linux-system-to-its-previous-state/

What TimeShift doesn't do is clone the entire drive, just the root partition. It's also considered to be a System Restore like app for these OS's, and good to use post restore of your new OS on the SSD. If you don't have a root, /home & Swap partitions (the recommended install type) & just have the OS's home directory in the root partition, TimeShift will restore everything other than Swap. 

There is even a Clone function, yet it's not like that of backup software, so the issue in regards to bad sectors will not be one with TimeShift. What I'm unsure of is if the Clone function keeps the size of the partition the same as the original. At any rate, this is something good to have, once settled into your new SSD. That way, should you install something & the OS is broken, you have a physical System Restore point on hand to undo damage. 

Cat

Any idea how to do the clone feature on timeshift. I haven't found it. I have a 100Gb'ish external drive that's empty so I can give it a try while I await the arrival of the SSD.

#7 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:51 PM

Its next to the settings button.

workspace-1_001.png

#8 Ravenbar

Ravenbar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 06:58 PM

I've found that there is a sewtting ion the Linux Mint 17.3 stock backup tool that saves the installed programs. I'm attempting a restore now. Download is currently at over 7 hours to go.

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:47 AM

I've found that there is a sewtting ion the Linux Mint 17.3 stock backup tool that saves the installed programs. I'm attempting a restore now. Download is currently at over 7 hours to go.

Hopefully the app has improved since I last used it, which was 4-5 years back & many releases ago. :)

Good Luck with the restore!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users