Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temp File Cleaner

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 plat1098

plat1098

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

Every time I run TFC, the HitmanPro Alert icon shows up on the task bar.  Is there some sort of interaction between the two software, or are they just happy to see each other?

Actually very curious so thanks for info.

Freedom really has its limits when there's no one sharing in it...Captured!  Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes  :heart:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

I have not heard of any issues between the two of them. What does the alert from HMP say?

Note: The first version of TFC was released in 05/28/09. TFC was last updated by OldTimer 6/23/12...that was version 3.1.9.0 which supported Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7. TFC has become outdated to some extent as the Windows operating system has continued to be updated with critical security patches. As time has passed, there have been more reports of various issues with running TFC to include unexpected freezing, hanging, unresponsiveness, etc. especially on newer operating systems so I would not recommend using it on Windows 8 or above. If you have problems using it, then consider an alternative like CCleaner.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Actually, the issue is a bit more involved but I couldn't see where to load snips of the entire scenario. There is no option I can see on this screen to load them.  Running TFC  appears associated with  "unexpected termination" of HitmanPro Alert and NVidia 3D program--every time. These are System errors with IDs 7031 and 7034 respectively.

Sure, I won't run it any longer, based on your recommendation.  It's a shame, though, it's quite a decent tool.  I do have screenshots with the time stamps, just cannot seem to load them......

Freedom really has its limits when there's no one sharing in it...Captured!  Southside Johnny & the Asbury Jukes  :heart:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:36 PM

Unless someone else has any ideas, I would suggest since there is no more support for TFC, you could check with the HitmanPro.Alert Support development team.

#5 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

Nah, it's not that much of a calamity, there's no need to contact HitmanPro.  For this?  As you said, it's outdated and I saw where it was last updated, what, nearly four years ago, well running it on Windows 10 seems to be a folly, then.

I was curious about this interaction, and thought there would be some insight into what actually triggers these errors while running TFC.  The services seem to recover but still.  I see in the "downloads" section, there's no specific caveat for using it on Windows 8 and later, though.

Do you feel CCleaner is the most thorough of the junk file removers?  Is there a real benefit with the paid version versus the free one?

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:02 PM

I have been using the free portable version of CCleaner for years. The Pro version has some extra features such as a browser and system monitoring tool, automatic updating (both silent and non-silent), ability to clean multiple profiles, and priority support. CCleaner Pro has some extra features such as Automatic Updates, Scheduled Cleaning, Ability to Clean Multiple Profiles, Real-time Monitoring and Premium Support. CCleaner Pro Plus also includes Disk Defragmentation and File Recovery.

There is no need to run CCleaner at startup. You can uncheck that feature under Options > Settings. When needed just manually run CCleaner from its folder in Start > All Programs or create a shortcut on the Desktop. See Changing CCleaner settings.

While CCleaner is safe and useful for removing these temporary and junk files, I do not recommend using the built-in registry cleaner unless you have a good understanding of the registry. In fact, Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

BTW...there are other alternatives but I prefer CCleaner.

Keep in mind there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and you will get varying opinions and recommendations. Some factors to consider are your personal preferences, your technical ability and experience, software effectiveness and additional features, user friendliness, availability of quality/prompt technical support from the vendor and price.

#7 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:43 PM

OK, there is a lot of info here, so the decision is what to get.  What jumps out is "system monitoring," "automatic updates," and "real time monitoring."  I just have a firewall and HitmanPro Alert but even these two programs had a major clash recently, so not really comfortable with these elaborate additional features. Actually, Windows has all you really need but I'm lazy. 

OK, I'll go with the free version and donate to them if there's a means to do so. 

Awesome information, thank you.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

You're welcome.

#9 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

A little addendum to the above:  Running Junkware Removal Tool also produces the HitmanPro Alert/nVidia errors.  Clearly TFC and JRT have some element(s) in common, but it seems to be something with HitmanPro Alert.  If anyone reading this has HMP-A and ideally, Emsisoft Internet Security and can duplicate this, that would be most helpful and would justify bringing this issue to the HMP-A developers' attention.  Otherwise, my machine is farkokte-- as usual.

Think I'll go back to using TFC, at least for the time being. :)

#10 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:48 PM

I might add that TFC and JRT close all nonessential processes when they run - that might be the cause of your problem.

Emsisoft products rarely cause issues with custom tools (sometimes BitDefender detects things, but those are quickly resolved) but it is recommended that you shut it down like any other AV when using the tools.

Edited by Sintharius, 24 February 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Besides closing processes, in some cases a reboot is required to complete deletion of certain files.

#12 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:26 PM

Thank you, Sintharius, the issue was a bit more examined by me prior to posting the above. With Junkware Removal Tool, I had the additional issue of its not being able to ping for updates. First, I ran JRT without an already-open browser.  Ping issue and error happened.  I then disabled HMP-A's Safe Browsing and Exploit Mitigation functions, same thing.  I then uninstalled HMP-A altogether just now, and JRT isn't producing the "unable to ping server" message, at least at this point. Disabling Emsisoft for any reason is absolute last on my list. Besides, never had this issue before just very recently.  I'm baffled.

I should say that HMP-A and EIS had a major clash recently but that's been at least superficially resolved. Both have issued new builds just in the past few weeks.  But keeping things relevant to this forum, it seems TFC and JRT have interaction in some way with HitmanPro-Alert.  The fact that TFC hasn't been updated in like four years doesn't seem to make a difference in this context. Both tools run fine, but JRT seems unable to update unless I uninstall HitmanPro Alert. 

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

...it seems TFC and JRT have interaction in some way with HitmanPro-Alert.... Both tools run fine, but JRT seems unable to update unless I uninstall HitmanPro Alert.

You can report issues to the developer (thisisu) at the official Malwarebytes Junkware Removal Tool Support forum.

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,470 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:53 PM

Appears someone already reported JRT unable to ping for update, error with HMP-A

#15 plat1098

plat1098
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 07:45 PM

That's actually my post.  And I spoke way too soon because the issue actually isn't resolved.  There's nothing wrong with JRT per se, so I'm going to leave it like that over in that forum,  It's the combo of these software that is corroding and messing with my DNS settings and function, even though my resynchronizing my machine's clock temporarily solved the problem.  I just got another warning about a DNS timeout while troubleshooting JRT and HMP-A.

Hmm, unless there's another way to troubleshoot this, I guess I'll just deal, though it irks me that I can't run JRT and Temp File Cleaner like I used to. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users