Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows desktop clean up utility

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dannyboy950

dannyboy950

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:19 PM

Windows Vista and XP used to have a built-in utility to remove unused seldom used ICons from the desk top.

Did they remove it for WIN 10 ?  I can not seem to find it on here.

HP 15-f009wm notebook AMD-E1-2100 APV 1Ghz Processor 8 GB memory 500 GB Hdd

Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa Cinamon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:21 PM

Control Panel...System and Security...Security and Maintenance...Troubleshooting...System and Security...System Maintenance

A bit confusing, but it runs the cleanup.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

Thank you, I was looking in the wrong place apparently. lol

#4 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:13 AM

Sorry I tried that 3 times. It will clean up the disk and repair files but will not clean up desk top icons.

The trouble shooter when it finds no errors it just quits working.  I tried all the different settings and options. At least on here it won't.

Pretty much the same options as disk clean up and management.

Thanks any way.

#5 waveydavey

waveydavey

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:07 AM

Just type in the Cortana box Disc cleanup and it will appear,click on it,job done

#6 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thank you. I am aware of disk cleanup. where it is, how to get to it and even how to use it some.

Desktop cleanup is a different animal. A GUI Graphical User Interface.  As I understand it an overlay running on top of the actual OS.  Working in conjunction with the OS but not really part of it.  I maybe wrong on this though.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:10 AM

Are you referring to the wizard described here:

If so, there is no such thing in Windows 10.  However, what it does is very simple and not hard to emulate.  Just create a folder on your desktop and name it Unused Desktop Shortcuts (or whatever you fancy).  Next, select the icons you don't want on the desktop and drag them over the folder and release.  To restore icons, open the folder (make sure the Explorer window isn't maximised) and drag and drop the required icons to the desktop.  You can select multiple icons with either the Shift or Control key.

#8 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Are you referring to the wizard described here:

If so, there is no such thing in Windows 10.  However, what it does is very simple and not hard to emulate.  Just create a folder on your desktop and name it Unused Desktop Shortcuts (or whatever you fancy).  Next, select the icons you don't want on the desktop and drag them over the folder and release.  To restore icons, open the folder (make sure the Explorer window isn't maximised) and drag and drop the required icons to the desktop.  You can select multiple icons with either the Shift or Control key.

Yes that is the puppy.  I am aware of the drag and drop technique.  However my touchpad does not do that very well. Sometimes it works ok and others part way to the folder it seems to drop the file/shortcut.

#9 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:29 PM

As you probably don't need to do this often, borrow a USB mouse for a short while and drag the icons to the folder suggested above.

Then return the mouse and all will be well :0)

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 dannyboy950

dannyboy950
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Thank you usama.  Just for reference a USB Logitech M205 mouse will not work with win 10 on my pc. Or will not work correctly.

It has problems with the scroll wheel and the right button.

The drivers do not seem to be updateable for this model. Not that I have found so far.

Edited by dannyboy950, 25 February 2016 - 10:03 AM.

#11 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 10:03 AM

Get another mouse.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users