Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is the best way to use another laptop as a secondary monitor

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 retrodaredevil

retrodaredevil

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:13 PM

I want to know what would be the best program to use another laptop as another display. Right now I have a 3 monitor display just for fun. I'm using my Lenovo Yoga 2 as the third monitor. That, is the worst of them all because of how laggy it is. I'm using a program called spacedesk to make my computer think there's a third monitor attached. My question is: Is there a better less laggy program that would connect to my computer to make my laptop another monitor or should I just stick with spacedesk?

I am running windows 10 on both of my computers.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 moldieToast

moldieToast

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:34 PM

My guess is no, you are essentially just streaming video to another device and that is all software can do. The raw video rendered by your gfx-card is a pretty huge chunk of data (at 1080p and 60fps this could well be 700mb+ per second!!!). It takes processing power and time to compress it before it is send over. When you are watching a live stream on twitch you have a smooth experience because you are only seeing one end of the connection and don't interact with the video, as soon as you type something in the chatbox and have to wait for the streamers response you realize there is a delay of often a couple of minutes. For streaming a video on twitch that is fine, since the interactive part is not a priority, the smooth video is. but you don't want to wait a minute until you finally see your cursor move after touching the mouse, so the software has to handle this problem differently. Of course i don't know how it does that, but it probably has to drop frames which would make for a choppy experience.

Something that might make everything a bit more bearable is reducing the resolution of the extended desktop(the laptop screen) as much as you can bare.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users