Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mail app intermittantly forcing local save of PDF to view

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jhoybs

jhoybs

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

I'm stumped!  A friend of mine got 3 emails each with an attached PDF (File1.pdf, File2.pdf, etc..) - all file extensions were ".PDF".  When he tried to open them, 2 opened as you'd expect.  The third attachment, when double-clicked, popped up a "Save As" dialog - it wouldn't let him view it from the mail app.

Once saved to the local disk, the PDF would open fine.  I tried fixing this by installing FoxIt PDF viewer, but the same thing happens - it just opens in FoxIt instead of Edge.

Any ideas?

Edited by jhoybs, 22 February 2016 - 04:12 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:24 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:09 AM

Hi there,

I think that you need reset the default program to open PDFs. How you can do this can be found here.

#3 jhoybs

jhoybs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:06 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I will try that, but I don't think it will do any good.

If you save the attachments from within the emails to your local disk, all 3 open up perfectly.  The problem appears to be the Mail app blocking view access on 1 of the 3 attachments.  As I mentioned, all have PDF extensions.

You can even see the problem; the attachments in the 2 emails that can be viewed have an icon of the installed PDF app (Edge or FoxIt in my case), but the icon within the email where you can't view the file is all white.  The white 'file' icon is an indicator that the file doesn't have an association, but how could 1 PDF be associated with a viewer and another PDF not be when they both have identical extensions?

#4 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

The mail app is very buggy.  Use Windows Live Mail, Thunderbird, Office Outlook, or one of the other email clients.  I've been using the Windows Live Mail program for about 5 years and it works just fine for me.  I know Thunderbird (from Mozilla) also works fine.  I've never done much with Office Outlook, but being part of Office I'd think it would be fine as well.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#5 jhoybs

jhoybs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the reply.  That is what I thought, but was surprised when an internet search revealed nobody else with the same problem.

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:46 AM

Thanks for the reply.  That is what I thought, but was surprised when an internet search revealed nobody else with the same problem.

That might be because very few people are using that app.  My admittedly highly biased view is that I haven't seen a single one of these "apps" that's worth using.  Humbug!   :smash:  

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users