Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase Template:

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Komputer Dummy

Komputer Dummy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 03:44 PM

All I need are very basic things. No games, programming or anything fancy. Thanks for any input.

Laptop or Desktop?   Desktop

My budget for the new computer is:   Under $500

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?    E-Mail, browsing, some shopping, no games, no programming

What software do you intend on using on the computer? A 2nd DVD player to record DVD's is the only thing I will use.

Do you play games? If so, what type of games?   No, not ever

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I sometimes have several windows open at once when reading news or perusing sites on which I am a member.

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer?  I will store pictures from my camera until I send them to be printed. Sometimes up to 300 pics. 

Will you be overclocking?   No

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices?   Amazon, Newegg or Best Buy or Office Depot locally.

How many monitors are you planning to use?   1

Do you need peripherals? OS?   I have a printer/scanner/copier and a monitor already. I may buy a larger monitor.

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? Selling this computer to a friend and want to buy a new one.

Dennis

Edited by Komputer Dummy, 22 February 2016 - 03:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:06 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220834
Looks good to me. If you need more ram after you buy it we could help you do that.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#3 Komputer Dummy

Komputer Dummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220834
Looks good to me. If you need more ram after you buy it we could help you do that.

Thanks for the advice. I just ordered it and it should be here within a week. One question though; can I add a 2nd dvd tray to copy dvd's or does it have one?

Dennis

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

I'm pretty sure you can install one. I couldn't find any desktops with 2 dvd trays.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#5 Komputer Dummy

Komputer Dummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

I'm pretty sure you can install one. I couldn't find any desktops with 2 dvd trays.

The computer has arrived already and I have one more question before I hook it up and start it. Does it come with an anti-virus software already installed or do I need to buy something? I know my current computer had Norton on it when I bought it.

Thanks for your help.

Dennis

#6 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

I'm no expert on malware, but there are some good free ones out there. I recommend malware bytes anti malware & virus.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#7 Komputer Dummy

Komputer Dummy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2016 - 07:37 AM

I'm no expert on malware, but there are some good free ones out there. I recommend malware bytes anti malware & virus.

This computer came with McAfee security program. Thanks again for your time and help. I'm sure I'll be back asking questions at sometime.

Dennis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users