Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blu Ray drive - easy question :)

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 howard86

howard86

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:55 AM

Hi all, 

I'm pretty much a novice with new hardware, but anyway I bought a blu ray player (internal) as I'd just picked up the X Files Seasons 1-9 set and fancied watching some on the pc rather than tv.

Anyway, the blu ray player is a Pioneer BDR-S09XLT SATA drive and it seems my computers cables aren't SATA, and I'd need an adapter. 

The drive has this written on it - SATA DC input + SATA Interface. 

Could someone help me find the adapters I'd need as I took a quick look and wasn't sure what was what and don't want to go picking up some that aren't the right ones.

Hopefully that's all the info needed for someone to know what I'd need to get.

Cheers, 

Howard 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:37 AM

Welcome to BC Howard 86!

The link below shows an example of one of the many adapters available to do exactly what you wish.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

Old Rocker

#3 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,564 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:40 AM

Can you provide the model of your motherboard? Your computer must be extremely old (8 years+) to not have SATA ports on the motherboard to be honest. You can use a program like CPU-Z to find the model of the motherboard without opening the case.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:17 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 howard86

howard86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:06 PM

Sorry for the late reply, PC isn't 8 years old, I got it about 3 years back if I remember, 4 at a push but I think its newer than 4. 

I've done the snapshot from speccy which hopefully will show on here

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/NUfwK3OSH5eZlhyH7BImHce

Hope that helps :)

#6 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,564 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:11 PM

That board definitely has SATA, there are 4 ports. It doesn't even have any IDE ports.

Does this look like your board? the second picture shows it best, the SATA ports are towards the bottom-middle of the picture, right next to the ATX 24-pin power connector.

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4664#ov

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#7 howard86

howard86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:36 PM

I've taken a picture of the motherboard.
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y44/dielaughing99/PC%20Motherbaord/20160222_222618.jpg

I couldn't see any cables there which looked like they would connect to the drive which is why I queried. Lots of random cables and it confused me haha. There are some with the old style connection which aren't visible on the picture (tucked around the other side and can only be moved when the other side is taken off). The drive didn't come with any cables and so I guess there'd be some inside the machine to connect it but if there aren't thats again where I'm confused what to get. 

Thanks again

#8 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,564 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:43 PM

Looks like all 4 of your SATA ports are filled (the three black and one red cable towards the right, just above your video card). I see from Speccy you have a hard drive, a solid state, and a DVD drive. I'm not sure what the 4th device is. There is a 1TB external plugged in, and "ELBY CLONEDRIVE SCSI CdRom Device", which I assume is a virtual optical drive from some software.

You do have the option of replacing your DVD drive with the Bluray drive if you are unable to free up a port. Bluray drives will read DVDs as well.

Otherwise, your best option may be to get a SATA expansion card that will plug in with either PCI or PCI-E. I see a PCI-E x1 slot open at the bottom of the board, so that would be best. Something like this. It comes with a SATA cable, but you'd still need to have a SATA rail open on your power supply to connect it to power.

#9 howard86

howard86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

I'm not sure if the external hard disk has a cable like it, I can just see a mains plug and usb cable from it. The clone drive would be a virtual drive for iso's yeah. 

I was going to query about the swapping of the normal DVD drive, if thats the case I'll probably have a go at swapping them over tomorrow and I'll post on here if it's successful :) 

Thanks very much for the help! 

Also bit off topic but any tips on getting rid of some of the dust in the machine? I've tried compressed air and the build up on the fan's worries me a little. Going back a fair few years an old graphics card overheated as the fan stopped working due to dust (it was a really tiny fan) and I'm always iffy to go trying to get in there and remove some in case of damaging anything 

#10 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,564 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

A can of compressed air is fine, just make sure to spray the straw around the fan at a few different angles. Be sure to get the GPU fan and power supply fans as well. It doesn't look too terrible in there, but could do with a little bit of blasting out on that CPU fan.

It's not necessarily off-topic. As long as you have the case open and are taking a look at things, or planning on swapping hardware, always a good time to clean it out a bit. :)

Edited by Demonslay335, 22 February 2016 - 06:06 PM.

#11 howard86

howard86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:08 PM

Cheers, I'll have a go at that tomorrow when I swap over the drives. 

Thanks again! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users