Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Malware that just won't die! WINDOWS 10

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Twistednuke

Twistednuke

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:42 AM

Hello, for a while now I have been prompted to allow "file 1" to make changes to my computer, publisher unknown. While I've always denied this, it started to get me concerned. On doing some research, I decided to run a scan with Windows Defender, it spat out a single malware file, which I removed. however, the prompt for file 1, or occasionally file 3, had continued. I then used malware bytes to do a scan, it found a couple of PUPs. Still the file1 popups continued. A subsequent Malware Bytes scan found the same PUPs. Doing some research, I found a few posts linking the file pop ups with these pups. I also ran an ADW scan, just in case, it found nothing of relevance. Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Here's the results of Malware Bytes

https://gyazo.com/f135287bb4f5b41cb54f0e6c2ba1ae46

Edited by Twistednuke, 22 February 2016 - 06:58 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rpbtf

rpbtf

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:29 PM

Hello,

you could upload file3.exe to virustotal.com, copy the MD5 checksum from there and search for it at isthisfilesafe.com.

Do a Malware Scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/).

Ralf

#3 Twistednuke

Twistednuke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 03:13 PM

Hello,

you could upload file3.exe to virustotal.com, copy the MD5 checksum from there and search for it at isthisfilesafe.com.

Do a Malware Scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit (http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/emsisoft-emergency-kit/).

Ralf

Thank you for your prompt response. I have done some further investigation and found that the malware I detected and the PUPs are unrelated. I found the file housing the PUPs and attempted to delete it, while it refused to die with a normal delete, I used a program called Unlocker that was able to wipe it. Again, thanks for the quick response, but as subsequent scans with malware bytes and Windows Defender are clean, I no longer require help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users