Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my cyberpower pc - advice needed.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 adamandkate

adamandkate

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:24 AM

Hey! I bought a cyberpowerPC about 4 years ago. I want to get my pc back to playing ultra on all games and last me a bit longer. I havent got a budget, but I dont want to spend silly money like buying Titan X Gpu's or abything. I really dont know whats best for me to upgrade, i havent played with PC hardware in years. Should I upgrade the GPU, Processor, ram? all of them? in order to make my pc 'high spec' again.

This is the original spec of my pc.. it was overclocked also. Only thing ive upgraded is added a SSD

CAS: NZXT H2 Classic Silent Mid-Tower Gaming Case (White Color)
CPNR1: Cyberpower Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts -- reducing the noise transmitted from Fans [+9]
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7 2600K Quad Core 3.4GHz 8MB cache LGA1155 + HD Graphics ***Overclockable XXX***
FAN: Asetek 510LC / Xtremegear Liquid Cooling system w/ 120mm Radiator (For Ultra Slient/High Performance -- SHARKOON Eagle SE Ultra Slient Modular Fans, 500-1200rpm (Custom PC Award Winning !!) ***Overclockable XXX***. [+20])
HDD: 500GB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache HDD [-10] (Single Hard Drive)
MEMORY: 8GB (4x2GB) PC10666 DDR3/1333mhz Dual Channel Memory [+26] (Kingston Hyper X Blu Series w/Heat Spreader ***Overclockable XXX*** [+24])
MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX/SLI] Asus P8Z68-V LX Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ BT GO! LucidLogix Virtu and Intel Smart Response Technology & 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB3.0, 2x SATA-III RAID, 3 PCIe Gen2, 2 PCIe X1 & 2 PCI ***Overclockable XXX***
OVERCLOCK: XXX Overclocking (CPU Extreme overclock: guaranteed min. 20%, max. 30%.) [+49]
POWERSUPPLY: 700 Watts Power Supplies (Cyberpower 700watt high performance Gaming Power Supply --  SLI / Crossfire Ready ***Overclockable XXX*** [+27])
VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 2GB 16X PCIe Video Card (Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA)

thankyou very much for the advice!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:17 AM

Your processor is a fairly recent Sandy Bridge, so you still have some life left in that.  I would go for a better graphics card, such as the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980 4GB or, if that is too expensive, the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4GB.  If you can spend more money, the GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 980Ti would be very high end.

3939.png

#3 adamandkate

adamandkate
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:38 AM

thankyou for your reply. thinking of going for the gtx 980. think the high end one is a bit too much for me right now.

would i be worth upgrading the ram also?

im surprised when you say my processor is fairly recent architecture as it was 4 years ago. but it was quite pricey at the time if i remember.

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:38 AM

8GB of RAM should be enough, unless you are streaming.  However, 16GB wouldn't hurt anything and may improve performance in some situations.

The successor to Sandy Bridge is Ivy Bridge, which is a die shrink of Sandy Bridge, Haswell would be the next architectural change after Sandy Bridge with Broadwell being a die shrink of Haswell.  We've just now got Skylake, which is the next architectural change after Haswell.  Going from Sandy Bridge to Skylake would require a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and operating system license and could cost as much as a 980 Ti, if not more, depending on the CPU.

3939.png

#5 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:14 PM

Additionally, with that overclockable cpu if it feels a little slow you can overclock. 

If you are willing, I think an ssd for a boot drive such as the SanDisk Z400s 2.5" 128GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive for $44 will increase your

boot and login times significantly. You could use a program such as Macrium Reflect to copy the operating system from the hdd from the ssd.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,501 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

For Directx 12 games AMD is generally better choice, like R9 390 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127874

Also 28nm graphics cards are very old technology, so buying 980Ti is mostly waste of money. 14&16nm cards are around corner.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 23 February 2016 - 01:56 PM.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

It's going to be a while before DX12 games are everywhere and for the near term DX11 will still be used more commonly.  That said, current cards from Nvidia generally produce less heat and consume less power than their AMD counterparts, but both make good products.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users