Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Updating Win 8.1 leads to WHEA Uncorrectable error

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 toasterbot

toasterbot

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:34 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:08 AM

I had to wipe the HDD (ST750LM022) of my HP Envy dv6 7250ca laptop, with the intention of loading my files back onto a fresh install of an up-to-date Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit. Before running the updates, I could restart without issue, but after installing the 55 updates and rebooting, it goes straight to automatic repair. If I then tell it to start up anyways, I get that it encountered "WHEA UNCORRECTABLE".

I tried the fixed posted here: http://windowsreport.com/fix-whea_uncorrectable_error-windows-8-1/

The results are that on the hard disk test I get the failure ID RLJBNF-6BB81L-QFPK0K-60WX03

The only thing I've done to that drive since wiping it was install Win 8.1 and the updates.

What's the source of the problem? What do I need to do?

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:44 AM

Please download and run SeatTools for Windows.

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

seagate3_zps1fa1f71c.jpg

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.

3.  You will see Basic Tests above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this.

4.  A menu will open with options for the different scans, please click on Long Generic Test

5.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

seatools4_zpsd7balf76.png

6.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

7.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:40 PM

Thank you for the help. I got the test running now. Is it really meant to take 3.5 hours?

#4 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:21 PM

So, it failed the long generic due to possibly bad sectors and code 6C9A C2A4

It says to repair using Seatools for DOS.

Should I do that?

Edit: I looked up the code, and it means the serial number was not detected. The serial number printed on the drive is S2SUJ9BCA01914

Edited by toasterbot, 22 February 2016 - 04:40 PM.

#5 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:22 PM

When I tried to download the DOS version of SeaTools, I just get http error 400 Bad Request.

#6 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:32 AM

When I tried to download the DOS version of SeaTools, I just get http error 400 Bad Request.

How did you wipe out the hard drive? DBAN? That seems to have really done some damage. This doesn't look like it has anything related to Windows updates. This is hardware related.

I wouldn't doubt you'll need a new hard drive if SeaTools wouldn't repair it. The sectors are probably corrupted and each time they'll be read, you'll get your favorite error.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:42 AM

It looks like it may be time to replace the hdd.  Let's run one more scan to see what the S.M.A.R.T. attributes show.

Please download GSmartControl and run it.

When GSmartControl opens it scans your computer for all mass storage devices.  When the scan is finished it will display all of the drives found.  Double click on the drive which contains your operating system.

In the next window that opens the Identity tab is selected which displays all of the data pertaining to your drive.

gsmartcontrol1_zps8bkdopna.png 

Click on the Perform Tests tab.  When the next window opens select the Short Self-Test, then click on Execute.

When the scan has completed it will show that the drive either passed or failed.  If it failed click on the View Ouput.  Copy the text and paste this in your topic.

gsmartcontrol2_zpso1blptuk.png

Edited by dc3, 23 February 2016 - 09:06 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 toasterbot

toasterbot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

Thank you guys for the help. My computer had another serious crash so I'm going to just replace the drive. It's only $90 and from the reviews, it has a history of bad sectors.

Are there any subtleties to cold-swapping a drive with an identical replacement?

Any advice on how to efficiently load my data (essentially a copy of the dying HDD) onto a new one? I don't want to duplicate pointlessly (e.g. 2 copies of the OS).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users