Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

White blank icons on desktop ?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#16 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:22 PM

Agouti  am a disabled person you do not have to be mean about it I do not have the URL of the site I hope you will help me

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:38 PM

sportman12, I am not trying to be mean.  I do understand you are disabled and I sympathize with you.  However, look how long it took to get some information from you.  This is post #16 and only now you tell me you don't have the URL.  In post #4, I posted a link to an article which I believe will help you resolve the issue.  So far, you haven't said whether you tried the solution in the article, whether it worked, did not work, nothing.  I asked you to describe how you replaced the icons.  Instead of giving me a detailed answer you said "Download zip".  So you downloaded a zip file, what did you do next?  You just aren't helping me to help you.  Don't you see that?

Okay, so let's try this again.

1. Please describe how you went about changing the icons.  And this time, please provide much detail as possible.
  2. Did you try the solution in the article I linked to in post #4?  What was the outcome?

#18 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

1 Please describe how you went about changing the icons.  And this time, please provide much detail as possible.

I clicked the icon  Windows Explorer properties change icon Browes I change the icon to 95 icon which I had downloaded

2 Did you try the solution in the article I linked to in post #4?  What was the outcome? Fixed

#19 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:49 PM

Okay, I am assuming you already reverted the other icons and you only have to revert the system icons now.  Do as follows...

1.  Right-click on the Start button in the bottom left of your screen.

2.  In the menu which pops up, click on Control Panel.

aTrTr1G.png

3.  When the Control Panel opens, click on Change the theme under Appearance and Personalization.

kcgyt8F.png

4.  In the next window, click on Change desktop icons on the left.

nyZ9wLt.png

5.  In the Desktop Icon Settings window which appears, first click on Restore Default then OK.

u4LAlxc.png

6.  Check and see if the icons have been restored on your desktop.

Please tell me if this works.

#20 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:56 PM

Agouti  am looking for original Windows 10 icons do you know where to get em

#21 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:01 PM

The procedure I posted will restore the system icons to the original Windows 10 ones.

#22 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

Agouti I did  it I do not know how to restore the icons for Windows Explorer Download folder and such where do I do it from

#23 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:09 AM

Agouti I did  it I do not know how to restore the icons for Windows Explorer Download folder and such where do I do it from

First of all, did you follow the procedure I outlined?  Are the icons for Computer, User Files, Network and Recycle Bin now the original ones?  Where is the icon for the Explorer Download folder? Is it on the desktop?  Please post the following screenshots:

• A screenshot of the Downloads folder icon showing clearly what it looks like and where it is located.
  • A screenshot of the Downloads folder's properties window.

sportman12, once again, you are not using any punctuation.  That makes it difficult for the reader to figure out where one sentence ends and the other begins.  It makes it difficult to understand what you are saying.  It is not making it easy for me or anyone else to help you.

#24 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

Agouti A screenshot of all three icons I mention please post

#25 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

I surrender.  You are driving me nuts :crazy: .  If anyone else wants to take a turn at trying to help sportman12, please do.

#26 sportman12

sportman12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

Agouti as for my typing am not a good typer hope you will still answer my questions please

#27 Curly56

Curly56

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 08:16 PM

Hi, you all,

I am using Gary Larson "Far Side" icons dated from 1996 on all of the Win-Versions since then (95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 10) and they all still work.

I just noted though, that the last Java update did not work right - the older version was not de-installed, and the new version only had half of the size it should have. So I de-installed Java and all older versions completely, and reinstalled the newest version. All of a sudden I had a lot more pretty icons on my desktop (not the Far Side ones, they were never affected or changed), especially from freshly installed software.

So maybe just check your Java installation under "Programs & Features", it should be Java 8, Update 73, no previous versions to be listed, maybe that helps.

Greetings, Curly

P.S.: Coming back to the original question again: you can also check the registry (run, regedit) under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Icons]  - if there is any other value than "standard", like a figure as "29" etc, set it back to standard and/or delete the other entries (which might have been inserted by a tweak program, or are left from upgrading)

Edited by Curly56, 25 February 2016 - 09:02 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users