Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Driver Crashes and BSOD

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MurphysBallista

MurphysBallista

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:12 PM

This problem started about three weeks ago. While trying to play any game (particularly StarCraft 2 or Warframe), blue boxes would appear embedded in the game's graphics, then freeze and crash the game. After adjusting my settings to a high performance and low graphics quality, I continually started receiving the error "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered". 

The problem now varies in extremes, sometimes giving me a BSOD and video_scheduler_internal_error if I try to open Warframe, sometimes embeds the blue boxes in my graphics before freezing and crashing the computer, and sometimes a simple display driver crash and closing the game, but recovering quickly enough to prevent BSOD. No games last more than a minute or two, Warframe in particular usually crashing just upon logging in. 

The problem started when I was using Windows 7. I'm now on Windows 10, and the problem persisted.

Summary of computer:

Windows 10 64 bit

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 (MSI) (currently on graphics driver version 361.91)

Motherboard ASUSTeK m5a97 le r2.0

16gb DDR3 RAM

CPU- AMD FX-6300

A few things I've already tried

I made sure that I had the latest nvidia drivers. Then I tried doing a clean uninstall (using Display Driver Uninstaller) and then reinstalling the graphics driver. I rolled back to the previous driver, still no luck. 

I switched out my graphics card with a spare one that a friend had, and installed all the driver necessary for the card- problem persisted. (I now have mine back in my rig)

I've run Avast, Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Windows Defender both in and out of safe mode several times. Nothing came up there. A friend told me to uninstall Avast- that it could be interfering with my driver, so I did.

I've run Ccleaner in between uninstalling and installing drivers. 

I've adjusted performance and graphics quality settings to optimal for performance- though I should note that 3 weeks ago I was able to run all games on the highest quality settings.

I've checked the temperature in Speccy for changes during a crash of the display driver. My graphics card went up to 51 degrees Celsius during the crash, motherboard and CPU stayed around 30 degrees or below. I dusted the fans and around the graphics card, made sure no wires were blocking air flow.

I upgraded to Windows 10 purely just to hope an upgrade would help. Then I reformatted my computer and cleaned out all files- completely reset.

Below are some pictures of the issue occuring in various extremes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6FEBPngZxSqOGxVTG5zc1dCT28/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6FEBPngZxSqX2ozVk9ZWDlWX28/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6FEBPngZxSqamhSQnRVZjBzRGM/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6FEBPngZxSqdzZuWWZIaWRGMTA/view?usp=sharing

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheITGUI

TheITGUI

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 08:50 AM

There's been quite a few documented issues with Nvidia drivers lately. When I contacted Nvidia, they recommended using a restore utilitiy (they recommended Sys Restore, but I use Rollback rx myself) to go back to the last driver update that worked until they come up with a fix.

Now you've said you've rolled back to a previous driver, what did you exactly do? Did you revert back then re-install the same drivers? Need more information in this regard.

With everything you've tried, you may want to simply use Recovery Media as it may be a corruption issue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users