Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DNS issue every few minutes. ?!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shakas

shakas

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:16 PM

Suddenly, a few days ago, without any updates I'm aware of, Chrome would occasionally only load certain pages. Some pages work fine, while others won't load. It's wasn't only previously cached pages that would load, previously unviewed pages would load and other pages wouldn't load. I usually get this message "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN" and occasionally this one "DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG"

Now a few days into this problem, it happens even more frequently than before, every minute or two...and no pages will load once it happens now.

If I go to my Wifi icon, disconnect and reconnect, it usually starts working again. Temporarily. A few minutes later, I have to do it again.
I've done all the ipconfig release/renews, dnsflush, netsh type stuff and I tried manually setting DNS to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4...still didn't fix it. 

Other computers on the same wifi aren't affected. What is this problem ? Is it coming from my computer or from a faulty modem/wifi/phone cable perhaps ?

Any help, thanks.

I'm using chrome on windows 7, and I'm unaware of any updates or installs that would have caused it.

It all began when another family member told me wifi wasn't working on their computer (so I turned off the modem/router and turned it back on)...this got theirs working fine, and began the problems for me.

ALSO NOTE: I just tried powering the modem off and on again...I always got the yellow exclamation on the wifi signal when it came back on, saying connected with no internet access. If I run trouble shooting, it says dns could not be found. I did ip release/renew and then it started working fine, so far, BUT now the other computer trying to use the wifi has the problem. So it seems only one computer will work, and the other will have a DNS problem. Trying to renew the ip on the one thats not working now, doesn't fix it.

Edited by shakas, 21 February 2016 - 07:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:44 PM

Try hard resetting your router/modem.

You will need to check your user manual that you can search for online, but normally involves holding a paperclip in a pinhole on the device for 10 seconds whilst powering it up.

#3 shakas

shakas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

Thanks for the response. After trying many things, I decided to see if our TP-Link wireless range extender needed to be re-synced with the router, haven't thought about that thing for years...but that was the problem. I re-synced the range extender properly and all computers are running internet perfectly.

So, keep that in my mind, any future people who are having persistent DNS issues that don't seem to be resolved by any of the standard methods.

Consider your range extender!  :thumbup2:

Edited by shakas, 22 February 2016 - 12:04 AM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:02 PM

Thanks for letting us know your solution :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users