Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

win 7 fails to boot after MS updates

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#1 billys999

billys999

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

folks,

Last Monday morning my wife logged on after a sunday night ms update. When she tried to open programs, she received info alerts indicating program files not found. after re-booting, the icons on desktop started slowly disappearing. after another reboot i tried to enter Safe Mode only to see options to select system recovery or start windows normally. neither worked.

So far I have ran Kaperskys tdss killer, Hirens boot, and AVG recovery. All found some instances of trojans,viruses etc, which have all been cleaned (as far as they say) except in AVG scans that identify a JS Phish file somewhere in Mail, that does not respond to "heal" option. All system (and otherwise) files still exists, I can see them during various scans.

When booting now, machine displays HP screen with the F key options, but all I can select is Boot order from Netbios or other boot drive selections.  It just seems like the boot order has been manipulated or moved.

The machine is a HP Pentium T1300w desktop

I am stumped, any help would be appreciated.

Billy

Edited by hamluis, 21 February 2016 - 08:00 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:58 AM

How are you running these scans, from discs?

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode?

Have you tried restarting the computer two or three times?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

I have borrowed a neighbors HP laptop that is running the same OS.

I have AVG on disc, Hirens was run on USB as well as Kapersky. Unfortunately they require different formatting of the USB, so I no longer have the Kaspersky KDSS killer avail.

Right now may be on reboot for the hundredth time. I was able to update the AVG disk to the latest software, however not the Hirens. I Have no access to internet o that computer.

#4 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

Another msg that appears when AVG first loads is:

unable to repair reg hhctrl.ocx missing

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

I would suggest that you call HP and see about purchasing a installation disc for your computer.  Once you have done this I can provide you with instructions to run the Startup Repair from the System Recovery Options.  

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 08:53 PM

Can do...

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:04 AM

Let me know when you get the disc.

#8 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:04 PM

When you say installation disc, is that the equivalent to buying a new win 7 operating system? Or do I need something like a recovery disc?

#9 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

When you say installation disc, is that the equivalent to buying a new win 7 operating system? Or do I need something like a recovery disc?

#10 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:46 PM

HP SUPPORT was a joke. Would not even speak to me due to out-of-warranty. I could not understand her ( have spent 10 yrs overseas and have a pretty good ear) and I think what I got out of her was call any local store.

#11 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 04:53 PM

as i mentioned absolutely no help from HP support. When i research my model @hp,com, I can only locate a 4 disc recovery suite. Is that install disc included in this package?

btw.....trying once again to reboot in safe mode a boot test screen appeared. some results were:

cpu - passed

HD connection - passed

boot fail 0 biohd4

memory test - passed

#12 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 06:06 PM

will this work?

http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Installer-versions-Recovery-DVD-ROM/dp/B00Z7ALNRM

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:07 AM

Are you sure the model for this desktop is the Pentium T1300W?  I'm not having a lot of success finding information for this model.

We need to test the HDD to make sure there isn't a problem with it.  This will require using a bootable test disc since you cannot boot into Windows.  The best diagnostic tool to use is the one created by the HDD's manufacturer.  For this reason we need to  know who the manufacturer is.

Open the side of the case.  

Before touching anything inside touch the bare metal of the case to discharge any static electricity.

The hard drive should be in front bays of the case.  You may need to move the HDD out a little in order to see who the manufacturer is. 

#14 billys999

billys999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 11:40 AM

HP P-7 1003W. My bad not sure how much that will help. Spent the whole day yesterday try to find an HP installation disc. They do not offer one, tried to download MS installation by my 25 number license, no avail thus the link above that I sent you. Never again will an HP make its way into this house

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,752 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 12:23 PM

Have you tried booting into Safe Mode?  If you have not, please do so.

Your computer has a recovery partition which you can use to basically reinstall the operating system.  This will revert the computer to the condition it was in when it first came out of the box.  This means that anything added beyond that point will be gone.  But in order to be able to use this partition you will need to be able to boot into Windows or Safe Boot.

If you can boot into Safe Mode you could try doing a System Restore using a restore point dated prior the updates.  This may resolve the problem without losing any of your wife's data.

Edited by dc3, 24 February 2016 - 12:25 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users