Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-fi dead? Adapter dying? ........................ please help me!!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Slime58

Slime58

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:46 PM

Hi all.

This afternoon I lost internet on my laptop ............................. which is bad.

I can connect on my other devices though ............................. which is good.

I need my laptop for work, so it's very important I/we fix this.

It's an Acer Aspire 6390-Z with Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit as the operating system.

It can find no wi-fi networks at all and the wi-fi button on the laptop now refuses to illuminate too!

Nothing I did seemed to sort the issue out.

I then popped into Device Manager where I found that my Atheros AR5B91 Wireless Network Adapter has a yellow triangle with a '!' inside.It also says;

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

I did a system restore and all seemed well for about 30 minutes but it's all gone bad again, even after another system restore!

Finally, when I reboot the laptop, I now get a message that says;

wirelesscm.exe - Unable To Locate Component

This application has failed to start because RtlIhvOid.dll was not found.

Re-installing the application may fix this problem

I really don't have any idea what all this means.

Please help if you can.

Many thanks in advance,

Slime58

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:14 PM

Try updating the driver. Go here and download v7.7.0.798 for the AR5B91. It will take a bit before the download begins after clicking the green download button. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In that folder are two folder labeled Vista32 and Vista64. Delete the Vista64 folder and move the Vista32 folder to the desktop.

Right click the wireless device in Device Manager and update the driver per this guide. Create a restore point before updating the driver.

I could not find the Acer Support site for your model. If a driver update does not solve the problem I recommend using a USB dongle like the following. Walmart sells the Tplink with free store pickup for about $9

http://www.tp-link.com/lk/products/details/cat-11_TL-WN725N.html

#3 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:59 AM

Thanks mate.

I've done that and the Atheros Adapter now seems to be working.

However, I've now noticed another warning triangle.

It's on the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter and it says;

This Device Cannot Start (Code 10)

What's that all about & should I worry about it?

Once again, many thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:21 AM

I am not a networking expert but I believe the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter is a way to piggyback IPv6 traffic over IPv4. IPv6 is a later protocol. If your computer connects to the internet fine then I would not worry about it. It's possible the adapter itself does not support iPv6.

Go to Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center. In the left pane select Change Adapter Settings. Right click your wireless adapter and select Properties. Under the Networking tab make sure IPv6 is checked.  

Do the following

In Device Manager right click the Microsoft 6to4 Adapter and select Uninstall

Click on the computer at the top of the Device Manager Tree to highlight it. At the top menu bar of Device Manager select Action > Add Legacy Hardware then press Next

Select “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list”

Select Network adapters – Microsoft – Microsoft 6to4 Adapter – Next – Finish 

Reboot.  If the error is still there then uncheck IPv6 in your adapter settings as I posted above.

#5 Slime58

Slime58
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:20 PM

Hi JohnC_21

I did that but the problem persisted so I unchecked IPv6 as you suggested, thanks anyway.

As an aside, because my wi-fi signal seems to be very weak, someone has given me a wireless adapter.

It's a D-Link DWA-171, but I'm not sure whether I should try to install it as I've heard it could make things a whole lot worse!

Any thoughts?

Slime58

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 05:49 PM

That is a Wifi Dongle. I don't see how it can make things worse. It may improve your signal. It should be plug and play for Vista. I would disable, not uninstall your Atheros wireless adapter in Device Manager before connecting the dongle though.

Here is the support page. 

For the weaker signal you may want to try changing your channel on the router first. You may be dealing with interference leading to the weaker signal. Edit: But if your other devices have a strong signal and are in the same area as the laptop then changing the channel will not help.

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 February 2016 - 05:50 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users