Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Internet Access For My Son

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 NotSoNew

NotSoNew

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:59 PM

Last October for his birthday, I purchased an HP laptop for my son from Best Buy for approximately $430.  It was a new laptop with Windows 10 preinstalled.  It wasn't long before he had to return it to Best Buy's Geek Squad for a problem unrelated to Internet access.  In the last month, he lost access to the Internet.  I tried to connect his laptop to my wireless system, which works well for my laptop and other devices.  Couldn't do it.  So I connected it to my router with a cat 5 line.  It displayed on his computer that it was connected on a cat 5 line but still no Internet access. Without Internet access I can't run a scan to check for malware or a virus.  As a last resort, I thought of uninstalling and reinstalling Windows 10, but I wanted to check here first to see if that would even work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:50 PM

Open Device Manager. Is there any yellow exclamation marks next to your Network Adapters?

If not then try resetting Winsock and TCP/IP

Open an elevated command prompt. Press the Window key + X.  CMD > as admin

Type the following commands.

netsh winsock reset
netsh int ipv4 reset
netsh int ipv6 reset

Reboot.

#3 NotSoNew

NotSoNew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:09 PM

Thank you, John C.  I was just now able to try your above suggestion.  I'm sorry to report that it didn't work.  There were no yellow exclamation marks next to Network Adapters.  I opened the command prompt as administrator.  I typed in all three commands at once, and did not close the command window before restarting.  When the computer rebooted, it was connected to my router, but still no Internet access.  Did I do something wrong?

#4 NotSoNew

NotSoNew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:35 PM

Update.  I tried a second time, this time entering the commands one at a time, and then rebooting.  When I finished with the third command and it still didn't work, I tried disconnecting from my wireless router and then connecting again.  Still no Internet access.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:05 PM

There have been issues with Windows 10 and wireless. I don't think you did anything wrong if you did those commands and then rebooted. What is the model number of the HP?

Edit: Is Airplane mode set to On? If it is then turn it off.

In Device Manager right click your wireless device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Please copy and post the first line. 

devicedriverdetails_thumb.png

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 February 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#6 NotSoNew

NotSoNew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

Airplane mode is off (I'm familiar with that feature).  My son gave me the model # HP 15-AC121DX.  I opened Device Manager but I could not find what you called my wireless device.  I took a picture of the list under Device Manger but I can't figure out how to insert it in this post.  I see in your example that it reads Base System Device Properties.  I don't have anything like that listed in Device Manager.  There is System devices, but clicking on properties on that just brings up another window in which the only tab is General, and the word and icon System devices is pictured in the window.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 01:56 PM

My Image was just an example showing how to obtain the vendor and device ID. For your computer Device Manager should have a category called Network Adapters. Click the arrow to expand the category.

Click more reply options. This will give you the ability to attach a jpg to the post.

#8 NotSoNew

NotSoNew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Okay.  Device Manager/Network adapters.  I expanded that and there are two listings.  The first one has "controller" in the description the second one reads: Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi adapter.  I clicked on that, clicked on Properties, then clicked on the detail tab and in the window was only one listing and it was the same as the description under Network adapters: Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi adapter.  Under the General tab it read, This device is working properly.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:35 PM

At this point the only thing I can recommend is to first go to HPs support site for you computer here and download the Realtek Wireless driver under the Network Category. Select Windows 10 as your OS in the dropdown box. 

In Device Manager Right Click your Realtek Wireless and select Uninstall then install the HP wireless driver. Reboot. If Wireless still does not work then I would recommend purchasing a USB WiFi dongle that is Windows 10 compatible such as the TPlink here.

Here is the separate download page for the below driver.

File name: sp73310.exe

Release details

Released: Oct 20, 2015

Version 2023.18.814.2015

#10 NotSoNew

NotSoNew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:42 PM

Thank you so much, but how do I download a driver on a computer that does not have Internet access? 

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:49 PM

Download the driver on another computer to a USB flash drive then copy the driver from the USB flash drive to the desktop of the HP laptop.

#12 NotSoNew

NotSoNew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:51 PM

I'll do that.  You have been such a tremendous help, I just can't thank you enough.  Will return after I finish my next lesson  :thumbup2:

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:56 PM

Your Welcome,

If you still have trouble getting internet the TPlink Wifi dongle can be had a Walmart, if you live near one, ship to store for about $9. The thing is that Windows 10 has had a lot of problems with Wireless. Things may get better after the next major release this year called Redstone but who knows. 

I can almost guarantee that if you downloaded a live linux disk such as Mint or Ubuntu you would be able to connect wirelessly without a

problem. 

Edit: I forgot to ask, does the computer use any third party firewall software? If it does you may want to check the settings or temporarily disable it and see if you can connect.

Edited by JohnC_21, 25 February 2016 - 03:01 PM.

#14 NotSoNew

NotSoNew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

Uninstalled the original driver, installed the downloaded one, and it showed I had Internet access in the side window but did not connect my browser.  I shut down for about 1.5 minutes, rebooted to read, No Internet Access.

Download a live linux disk?  Isn't linux a different operating system than Windows?  If it were my computer (with which I don't have a problem) I might be able to use it, but my son is computer-phobic.  He is familiar with Windows, would the linux system confuse him?

How would I learn if the computer has a third party firewall?

#15 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 25 February 2016 - 04:08 PM

Action Center should be able to report which firewall is active.  If firewall is not Windows Firewall, disable that for now and enable windows Firewall.  I use Windows 7, so your Action Center might be called a different name.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users