Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 back up

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Markimoo

Markimoo

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

Hi,

I've currently Windows 10 Pro on my laptop, I'm loving it but can I make a back up to install it later on a USB? I want to buy a SSD very soon so I can keep my Windows 10 Pro version. I've only a Windows 10 Home USB stick right now. :(

Thankies!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:41 PM

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download an .iso of the Windows 10 edition/version you want, and then make a USB bootable with it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:35 PM

If you're looking for a good program for doing a full system backup, I use Easeus Todo Backup Free, which is free for home use.  There are also versions for other than home use on the Easeus web site.  I've been using this backup for the last 5 years with no problems.  

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Markimoo

Markimoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:55 AM

You can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download an .iso of the Windows 10 edition/version you want, and then make a USB bootable with it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows10

Thanks Aura!

If you're looking for a good program for doing a full system backup, I use Easeus Todo Backup Free, which is free for home use.  There are also versions for other than home use on the Easeus web site.  I've been using this backup for the last 5 years with no problems.  

Good luck.

Don't have any spefic data what I want to keep. Only programs I can re-install.

Edit: Trying it right now, but it only let me choose Windows 10 or Windows 10 N, isn't that the pro version?

Edited by Markimoo, 22 February 2016 - 05:00 AM.

#5 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

Are you talking about the Media Creation Tool or Easeus Todo Backup?  It sounds like you're asking about the Media Creation Tool, but did you go to the site Aura recommended, I haven't seen anything about Windows 10 N there.  If you have the Home version of 10 on the system you want to install it on, you want Windows 10 Home.  OTOH if you have the Pro version, you want the Pro version of 10.  The Media Creation Tool asks you about these, so select what's appropriate.  If you're talking about the system you have 10 Pro on for a backup install, then you want the Pro version.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#6 Markimoo

Markimoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hey,

I followed the link Aura gave me.

If I choose for a USB I can choose the following things:

dbdec691f9.png5fc5007f83.png

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,627 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 09:00 PM

The .iso that you download will contain Windows 10 Pro. It contains a configuration file for both Windows 10 Home and Pro, and it'll use the one associated with the product key that you'll enter.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Markimoo

Markimoo
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 94 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:52 AM

The .iso that you download will contain Windows 10 Pro. It contains a configuration file for both Windows 10 Home and Pro, and it'll use the one associated with the product key that you'll enter.

But what if you enter the product key later?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users