Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I keep dwm.exe from trying to run? Disable in Services doesn't help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 krs000a

krs000a

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

I keep getting this "dwm.exe has stopped working" message constantly, like once a minute. It just started all of a sudden for no apparent reason. I understand this has something to do with the Windows Aero theme, which I don't use by the way. I tried disabling dwm.exe in Services, but I am still getting the message. Why is Windows attempting to run dwm.exe even though I disabled it, and how can I disable it permanently so I stop getting this message all the time?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:22 PM

Please go to Start Menu » type cmd.exe » right click » Run As Admin » type sfc /scannow and hit enter - report back results.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

I try to make my tomorrow better than yesterday.

#3 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:57 PM

Thank you for replying.

I did what you said, it said it found corrupt files and had repaired them.

The log file is like 8 Mb large, I can't paste all its content in the reply window.

Is there a way to add it as an attachment? I can't see anywhere to click to do that.

#4 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:06 PM

This is from Microsoft
The dwm.exe file is the Microsoft Windows Desktop Windows Manager and is a valid Windows file that should be running on your computer. This process helps manage the visual effects found in Windows Vista and Windows 7 such as the transparent or glass look, the Flip3D alt tab windows switcher, and handle the rendering of each of the Windows being displayed on your computer.
As more program windows are opened the memory of this process will increase sometimes using several megabytes. This is normal behavior.
Try Virus scan and check if it helps.
How do I remove computer virus:                                                                                  
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/Windows7/How-do-I-remove-a-computer-virus (or ask in the Am I Infected area of forum)

Do you have a decent Antivirus installed ?? Please run a scan

icon1356707420.jpg

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware << Free : Install it and run a scan. Please post the results.   Hope it helps!

This is from How To Geek but seems to relate to Vista
So How Do I Turn dwm.exe Off Then?
Note that I don’t recommend turning this off unless you are playing games in fullscreen mode, and even then it likely won’t help increase speed.
The only way to get rid of the dwm.exe process is to stop the service from running. Open up Services from Control Panel or the start menu, and then find the
“Desktop Window Manager Session Manager” service in the list, and click the stop button. Note that you will be switched to the Vista Basic theme when you click the button.

Thank You..

EDIT FOR TYPO..

Edited by Jaycan, 21 February 2016 - 04:08 PM.

#5 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:21 PM

Thank you for replying.

The log file is like 8 Mb large, I can't paste all its content in the reply window.

Is there a way to add it as an attachment? I can't see anywhere to click to do that.

Well, has the scan helped the issue at all or does DWM still return a not responding error?

HP Pavilion dv6t-7k Custom Windows 7 Professional x64 iPhone 6, iOS 9.2 (awaiting jailbreak) 

Cyber Security Instructor in Linux, Cisco Networking Academy and  Windows (XP thru 10, Servers)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:29 PM

Click the Reply To This Topic button at upper right.

Then click the More Reply Options button at lower right of new screen.

You should now see the option for uploading files/attachments.

If the log is too large to be uploaded...then the best thing to do is to upload it to a website which will host the file...and then post the link to said website.

Louis

#7 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:56 PM

Hello all,

Have we missed the wording of the reply ?? Please read the bolded area from the quote above. >> it found corrupt files and had repaired them.<<

This is from Microsoft
The dwm.exe file is the Microsoft Windows Desktop Windows Manager and is a valid Windows file that should be running on your computer. dwm.exe = Desktop Windows Manager

If this will not work I would say to move on to the next stage and look for a minor infection, with Adwcleaner (directions at the link) or Antivirus and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware next..

Once any .exe file is corrupted it is usually by an infection, or missing file.

There is no need for a long log, if the problem "was repaired".

Last only - Based on this, if the process needs stopping (which it should not) then see So How Do I Turn dwm.exe Off Then? from "How To Geek"

Just based on my semi-logical view of the reply.. Sorry if it is not matching your views ..

#8 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 01:45 AM

Well, that scan claimed to have repaired the corrupt files. Apparently that did not correct the problem though, because I am still getting the error message.

I also ran Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (had already did that before I posted here) and it found no malwares/viruses.

I don't use any transparency / effects in Windows, I have the classic Windows XP look but perhaps dwm.exe is needed in general to manage windows, if I understand it correct. What I don't understand is why is there an option to disable it, if it's essential to run the OS? Especially when it will keep insisting of attempting to run dwm.exe regardless if I ask Services to disable it, it's especially redundant to have an option to turn it off...

#9 Jaycan

Jaycan

• Members
  • 445 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:08 AM

Hi ,

Well, that scan claimed to have repaired the corrupt files. Apparently that did not correct the problem though, because I am still getting the error message.

Especially when it will keep insisting of attempting to run dwm.exe regardless if I ask Services to disable it, it's especially redundant to have an option to turn it off...

I did not say to continue if you think other options are better, I merely said "Just based on my semi-logical view of the reply."

What Antivirus do you run, and please post SPECCY as >> Per dc3 Here << for more information.

Thank you for being OK with this (we will find it).

Edited by Jaycan, 22 February 2016 - 02:11 AM.

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 10:41 AM

You need to post the sfc /scannow log.  You can break the log into smaller parts and post these individually.  When you copy a section you highlight it in order to copy it.  Leave the section highlighted so you can use it as a reference point for the next section you will copy and post.

Please run chkdsk /r

Chkdsk /r checks for bad sectors on the HDD and recovers any readable information.

Attention:  If this is a SSD do not run the /r switch, instead run chkdsk /f.

Click on the Start orb rsz_1rsz_1rsz_start_orb_zpshjewtibd.png, then type in cmd in the Search programs and files box.  When cmd is seen in Programs above the Search box right click on it, then click on Run as administrator.

You will see a screen similar to the one below.

Screenshot2.jpg

Copy and paste chkdsk /r in the command prompt, then press Enter.  Please note:   

You will receive the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#11 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 12:52 AM

You can deal with any service that you wish with this  tool.   Stop the service and change the startup type to disabled hit ok.

h1KRdxt.png

Also this...

Hit the P8CoIvt.png button.

Right Click on Computer and select Properties.

Now Select Advanced System Settings.

fHfOPww.png

Performance Settings.

QfdqyzJ.png

Now Select Adjust for best performance.

GglVFS0.png

Hit Apply, then ok your way out of there.

This program may be of use to you as well.

#12 InsufficientFunds

InsufficientFunds

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 01:02 AM

Wow there, sorry I was busy doing life then a buzzilion responses came hard.

I'd like to say - how about you show me a few details about your DWM.exe...

I need:

• Screenshot of the error
  • Location in the folder of the DWM.exe (Task Manager » Processes » dwm.exe » Right click » Properties » Open File Location
  • Upload DWM.exe to www.virustotal.com

What specific version of Windows are you running? I'm tempted to upload my copy of DWM.exe and replace it with yours if you'd like.

Edited by InsufficientFunds, 23 February 2016 - 01:03 AM.

#13 krs000a

krs000a
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 23 February 2016 - 10:33 AM

Hello,

Thanks so much for all your replies, but I decided to just reformat the computer and reinstall Windows - it was in need of that anyways, so I figured I might as well. So, that took care of the problem. :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users