Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 - automatic repair after memtest session - hardware faulty or not?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 sew333

sew333

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

Hello.
Eh getting weird problem with Windows 10 Pro.

So few days ago when i ran memtest few hours without error, but after finished test i reboot pc and Automatiic repair started before windows. Is this something with memory ? Memory trigger that error? Or it is software issue? Coincidence ?

When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem occurs only when starting system again after shutdown.

My disk is Samsung Evo 250 GB SSD. I run HD TUNE but no errors and CrystalDiskInfo Smart is fine 100% GOOD. Rams are 2x8gb DDR3 Kingston Hyperx 1600mhhz.

Memtest86 not showing errors.

So its a hardware related or not? What you think about it ? Thx for answer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:18 AM

It's hard to make a choice based on the information that you have.

Try running Prime95 for a while (and monitoring your temps while doing so):  http://www.carrona.org/prime95.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:21 AM

Games no crashing, no bsods. Memtest86 not showing errors. So that things i tested.

When starting Windows 10 boot loader starts by "preparing automatic repair" and diagnosing pc.
Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem occurs only when starting system again after shutdown or when i properly restart windows by clicking from menu Start. So i needed 2 boots to run properly system now. 

Any ideas? It is software problem or hardware?

Edited by sew333, 21 February 2016 - 08:26 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:49 AM

I'm guessing that it's a boot problem - but it's also possible that it's a memory or hard drive issue.

Prime95 will help to decide if it's hardware or not - then we can try other stuff.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:12 AM

So i formatted disk , install again Windows 10 , now Windows booting fine without automatic repair. But i tried to reproduce issue by running memtest86 again. So i run test for 5 hours, stop test and booted Windows 10. This time it booted fine without automatic repair. So i guess its fine. But i want to know why it happened earlier just before format? That was still hardware issue? Thx for opinion. Somebody said that can be caused by bad ram. Like i said after format is ok. But i want to know why it happened before format. What caused this ,software ,hardware?

Edited by sew333, 21 February 2016 - 09:15 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:39 AM

Most likely it wasn't a hardware issue (otherwise it would continue to happen even after a format).

Bad RAM does not just get better - so it's not likely to be a hardware problem.

The fact that it messed up your boot stuff suggests that it was a problem with the BCD - but we're not certain of that.

And, if you still had a copy of the old one, it'd take an expert (which I'm not) to see if there were significant errors within the BCD.

There's a lot of other things that could cause this too - but those are the most likely.

#7 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:45 AM

What is BCD ?

Also.

I am wondering only, why it get corrupted to Automatic Repair even one single time,even once. We know that after memtest was propably coincidence. But why it happened even once. I think if all is stable or running properly shouldnt happen even one single time. What you think?

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:46 PM

BCD = Boot Configuration Data

A database that controls the booting of the system

More info here:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc721886%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

That's why I can't answer your question: "Is it software or is it hardware?"

It is an unknown error, and we can't reproduce it - so we can't figure out what it was.

Please have a look in Event Viewer of a properly running system.

You will see lot's of errors there - even though the system is running properly.

Windows has become so complicated that there is no such thing as 100% error free.

To explain why would take a lot of knowledge about programming and how errors creep into it - both by design and by accident.

#9 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:45 PM

So dont try to RMA ram or ssd because of this what happened once?

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:28 PM

If you cannot reproduce the problem, when you RMA it they will (most likely) find "no fault found" - and will likely charge you for it.

#11 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 04:26 AM

What you do in my situation? RMA or sold ram or ssd? Or just stay with them? It happened once , i cant reproduce this.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:05 AM

Wait to see if the problem comes back.

If it's a hardware problem, it will come back (as hardware doesn't fix itself)

If it's a software problem (which IMO is most likely), it may come back - but you should be able to fix it.

Make sure that you have recovery media and that you backup your stuff regularly.

Beyond that, just wait........................

#13 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 06:13 AM

So for you it was a software problem?

Like i said after format its ok. But before format it happened after memtest86 session when i restart pc and change boot to SSD.

THen

Interesting is that if I restart Windows (after procedure mentioned earlier) it will boot normally. This startup problem was occured only when starting system again after shutdown or restarted pc from windows.So i was needed 2 boots to boot properly to windows.
So boot to windows was possible. And i am thinking that with faulty hardware i cant boot no matter how much boots.

What you think?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:19 AM

In the old days it was relatively easy to say "software" or "hardware"

These days it's more difficult, as the different components of a particular device may function differently under different circumstances.

As such, it's no longer real easy to decide "hardware" or "software"

And, as a matter of fact, I always say that hardware problems include the possibility of software "bugs" - things like malware, incompatibilities, and even low-level drivers can cause errors that seem like hardware, but are really due to software.

What is significant here is that the operating system was reinstalled and the problem went away.
This means that the problem was most likely due to software.

BUT, the problem may come back.  And if it comes back, it is still most likely to be a software problem.
BUT, the possibility of a hardware problem still does exist (but is much less likely) - but if you can't reproduce it, then no one will accept it as a problem.

My suggestion is to watch the system and see if the problem recurs.

Nothing else is needed at this point.

#15 sew333

sew333
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:31 AM

Hmm so we dont know if it is a hardware failure or software?

Edited by sew333, 22 February 2016 - 09:37 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users