Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Electrocuted/Shock from USB ports, metal, screws of computer.


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 derrickezra

derrickezra

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:25 AM

Windows 10 Pro 64bit

AMD FX-8320E

MSI 970 GAMING Motherboard

Corsair Spec-03

Samsung 850 Evo 250GB

Cooler Master V750S

Avexir Blitz 2133 Mhz 4GB X 2

I keep getting electrocuted by the USB hub and other parts even before I press the power button on the computer. I am using 3Pin connector for my PSU and extension plug is also 3Pin. My PSU sometimes buzzing noise but the noise has disappear for almost a day.
Update: the buzzing noise is back and there is no load when it happens.


Edited by derrickezra, 21 February 2016 - 04:29 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 billymins

billymins

  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:28 AM

Check your if your computer is correctly grounded, any metal parts that are exposed are used as a ground when you touch them. Try standing on a chair, with your feet above the ground and touch a usb port, most likely you will not get electrocuted.



#3 derrickezra

derrickezra
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:55 AM

Check your if your computer is correctly grounded, any metal parts that are exposed are used as a ground when you touch them. Try standing on a chair, with your feet above the ground and touch a usb port, most likely you will not get electrocuted.

Yes I don't get electrocuted when I stand on chair, so how do I ground my  computer properly.



#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

  • Members
  • 2,455 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:07:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:37 AM

 

Check your if your computer is correctly grounded, any metal parts that are exposed are used as a ground when you touch them. Try standing on a chair, with your feet above the ground and touch a usb port, most likely you will not get electrocuted.

Yes I don't get electrocuted when I stand on chair, so how do I ground my  computer properly.

 

 

Grounded outlet usually resolves these.



#5 billymins

billymins

  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:40 AM

I'm not an expert, nor have i ever built a computer myself, but my laptop does the same thing after the first time i opened to clean it. I suppose that since every component has a ground wire, one of those is not connected, thus resulting in it finding ground in the metal parts of the computer. Check all your components to see if any wire is not properly connected or maybe not connected at all. Did you install any parts by yourself? Is your computer a custom build or did you buy it new, like this?



#6 derrickezra

derrickezra
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:28 AM

I chose the parts myself but the shop helped to put the parts together.

#7 billymins

billymins

  • Members
  • 6 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 11:24 AM

Since it is a desktop computer it is easy to access the inside without fearing of any damage, it's usually 4 screws and the cover comes off, take it off and see if there are any unconnected wire hanging in the air. If there are no wires hanging like that, then i can't help you any further. When did this problem occur?



#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

  • Moderator
  • 7,016 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:54 PM

Earthing is critically important. A desktop computer earths itself through the 0V connections from the PSU to the motherboard and other components. The PSU earths itself through the mains electric cable back to the socket in the wall.

 

As a first precaution change the power lead to the computer. Since these normally have moulded plugs on each end they are not repairable.

 

If you are using a power strip or extension cable try changing that if the problem persists. And if it still persists, then check that the wall socket has a good earth connection, or at least that the earth wire is properly connected to the socket.

 

BEFORE YOU CHECK THE WALL SOCKET, turn off the power to that section of the property. Either switch off the relevant circuit breaker or pull the fuse depending on what systems you have. THEN it is safe to unscrew the socket and check its connections.

 

Chris Cosgrove



#9 derrickezra

derrickezra
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 06:55 PM

This problem occurred since first day of usage. It is brand new. I will try checking for loose cables then check wall sockets for earthing problems. I have tried different extension and I will try different sockets later thanks.

#10 Agouti

Agouti

  • Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

I would start with the wall socket first.  BTW, if you were really electrocuted you wouldn't be here.



#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

  • Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:15 PM

The grounding events seems to be a common problem as of late.. Mixed polarities on two prong plugs can put hazardous potentials on the metal parts, even to the point of having 110 volts between a PC and a printer.  Most common is the half phase, or only 50 to 60 volts, enough to let you know you got zapped but not life threatening.  A licensed electrician should check your outlets.  You could even measure the voltage yourself if you have a meter.



#12 derrickezra

derrickezra
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:43 PM

The computer cables are intact and secured. I will be checking the outlets later. Apparently my housemate's laptop VGA port causes shocks as well when touched.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

  • Moderator
  • 7,016 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Scotland
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

I have to say I have never heard of anybody getting a shock off a laptop. This does suggest a domestic wiring problem.

 

Back in the early 80's we were renting our house and the landlord put a contract out to re-wire all the houses on the estate. The contract went to a local firm. At the time I was working as a long distance haulage driver and came home one weekend to be met by wife saying she was getting 'tingles' off the washing machine. A quick check with my multi-meter showed the drum was sitting at 120V AC, half mains voltage - ours is nominally 230V AC. I tracked it back to the socket and discovered that, while the contractors had run the earth cable into the back of the socket, they hadn't connected it ! No surprise she was getting 'tingles' !

 

The 110V standard is safer than the European 230V, but it can still kill you. This is a problem that needs urgent attention.

 

Chris Cosgrove



#14 derrickezra

derrickezra
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:50 PM

The computer shop I bought from said it's not the PSU problem but the ground wiring problem of the house. I can RMA if I want to but I need to fix the problem as well though.



#15 derrickezra

derrickezra
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 7 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:59 PM

I have checked the house wiring. And I found out that only the computer causes this problem. It might be the PSU problem?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users