Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CPu spiking to 80-100% randomly. PC Locking up for 2-10 seconds.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Zeneath

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:23 AM

I am currently having some issues with my PC this last week. Recently when I load up everything starts like normal. But then after a few minutes I will get CPU spikes and random lock ups or stuttering with mouse and keyboard that last 2-10 seconds. It tends to be just in general and nothing in particual is triggering it. but it comes and goes. Sometimes not for an hour or two. I've done a full virus scan and everything seems fine on that end. And I have checked my driver none seem to need an update so I am kinda at a lose. any help would be welcome. 

PC Specs.
Windows 8.1
AMD FX 8350 8 Core Vishera 4.0ghz
R9 280X 3g
16g Ram

750cw Corsair PSU

Also because I thought it might have to do with the HDDs I took a screenshot of both my drives using DiskCheckup.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:23 AM

Sometimes this can be caused by paging, but since you have 16 GB of RAM, that seems unlikely.  I'm wondering if maybe you have some sectors on your C: drive that are going bad.  I'd run a disk check to see.  Start File Manager and right-click C:, then click Properties.  Then click the Tools tab and click Check.  Note that this can run several minutes.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#3 NeapTide

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 11:08 AM

Your SMART values for hard drives are normal. In one hard drive, there is a little bit command timeout. I would recommend pull out SATA and power cables and replug them and check if problem resolves. Do this for other hard drive as well. Weak connection can also cause such problem.

#4 Zeneath

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 10:53 PM

So did a Disk check and scan and repair as well as a second Reg cleaning. Seems to have fixed the issue. Thanks for the tips. Also redid the cables of my setup just to be safe on that front as well thank you both.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users