Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Has anyone else's AVG experienced a spurt of recent detections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SirkitCat

SirkitCat

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

Hi :hello: ,
After many months of tranquility I dont know if the AVG on my auxillary computer was suddenly feeling in need of excitement or what but it alerted me to 3 (apparently) seperate threats/infections in a matter of days.This was about a week ago and things have since abated. I was visiting different but reputable websites each time, and hadnt changed my settings. Each time thankfully the pesky gremlins in question were only in the tmp folder, were quickly neutralized and scans of my computer come back as clear.

An avg scan in safe mode reports 75 infections and 75 instances of "info severity" but I have been informed that this is just means cookies (I hope that is right ?). :unsure:

I dont have access to that computer atm to do HJTlogs and there are no current symptoms so apart from the cookies thing this isnt an "am I infected post" I was just wondering if anyone had had a similar spell recently or read any news about maybe an Avg update causing false positives or something as it seems an improbable streak. I had received some legit warnings to update my adobe, silverlight mozilla add ons shortly before which Ive done but I guess that could have meant I was susceptible for a time?. A penny for your thoughts :), if you use AVG has it been steady as she blows in recent weeks?
Thanks for taking the time to read and for any insights you might have even if its just to say youve had no problems :).

Edited by SirkitCat, 21 February 2016 - 02:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhotoAce

PhotoAce

• Members
  • 165 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:04 AM

Apart from a false positive on The Sans Institute website, my AVG has been fine. I only have the antivirus and firewall installed.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 07:54 AM

As long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. Anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for, so I would recommend disabling the option to search for cookies in those programs which include that feature...this will also decrease the amount of time it takes to perform a scan.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 SirkitCat

SirkitCat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

Thanks very much for the replies :)  and for the cookie search settings advice. I guess I am suspicious by nature lol and sceptical that my Avg has suddenly aquired O'dell Beckham like levels of skill when it comes to catching things on the fly ;) although if it has then all to the good :). I always worry when there is a run of detections that unless its a general over sensitivity caused by an update (in this case to avg) that there maybe something more fiendish on the computer as yet undetected so I will also run more / different scans as soon as I can. Just as general info in case anyone had had a similar issues it was last weekend so 13-14th feb. Threats included a Win32/Heim virus detection in a tmp.dll file an avg message of "Could be a Trojan horse JS/Exploit" associated with a search[1].htm item and one other similar all in temporary files folder and the sites I had been visiting around that time were ebay and yahoo which I think of as being pretty safe but I guess anything can be a vector. Hopefully it was just temporary bad luck.

Thanks again :).

Edited by SirkitCat, 21 February 2016 - 03:00 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,744 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:08 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.

If you want a more comprehensive look at your system for possible malware, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users