Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

1 Terabyte on the line - external - intermittent function / raw

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 artstudent

artstudent

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:39 AM

Greetings all,

As many other poor souls post every day, I am in trouble and hoping for some help with damage control.

I have an important external drive that essentially stopped working, but with occasional moments of access.

I'm pretty sure the hard drive is almost dead, but I'm looking for the best way to save as much as possible.

Windows 7 (64 on this desktop, 32 on netbook)

Seagate 1 Terabyte Barracuda in external enclosure.

I have had a problem where the disk needs to be initialized / formatted (which I have not done), tried chkdsk (not the full), and no love.

What's strange, is I can sometimes get it going for a little while.

I've been searching and troubleshooting all day, but would love, love love some assistance.

It seems one of the main problems is I'm having issues running software to try and fix it (like seatools etc) as it often won't even show up.

I just managed to copy off a few gigs, but then I can navigate into folder and see files, but when I click on them I get errors.

Any help on next steps would be SUPER appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

In my expereince, external enclosure controllers can go bad, so it might potentially be that instead of the drive itself.  Try putting the drive in another enclosure, or install it as in internal drive in your desktop and see if it is readable.  If no issues in either of those scenarios then you know the enclosure electronics are bad, but I'd still run checks on the drive to be sure and back up the data and replace the drive if you don't trust it.

#3 artstudent

artstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:45 PM

Hi R4X4
Thanks for the first reply.

I should have mentioned I've tried swapping it out with another dock and the problem follows. I tried the 12 hour freezer trick last night before bed and managed to pull a few gigs off this afternoon.

I'm still trying to figure out the course of action though.. Specifically trying to tackle the 'raw' problem, and how to tackle that so I can then run diagnostic stuff.

Any thoughts?

#4 Ram4x4

Ram4x4

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:58 PM

There's more than one issue happening here, bad file descriptors, bad CRC checks, volumes missing, or not able to be read, etc.  I'm afraid it sounds like the drive is toast.  If the freezer trick allows access for a limited time, then you might consider doing that in sequence until you can get your data off the drive (assuming the drive will not fail further during freezing, using).

Files reporting bad descriptors and CRC checks, you might not be able to get those at all.

Unless someone else has any tricks up their sleeve, the only other way around this that I can come up with is to find another known working drive of the exact same brand/model and take the control board off it and put it on your bad drive.  No guarantee that will work, but I've done it successfully a couple of times in the past.

Lastly, you could pay to have a data recovery company get your data, but that is verrrry expensive.

#5 artstudent

artstudent
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:55 PM

Thanks much for the reply..

I supposed that's what I expected, but was hoping there might be some other possibilities.
The drive is in the freezer now.. Fingers crossed ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users