Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

hi! help ! ;)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohn60

bigjohn60

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

Hi !

I hope you are all doing well. I'm having a problem with an old computer, it's windows 98 OS.

It's not loading windows and I can't get the cd drive working to get the windows start up cd to load. 

I'm afraid there is a problem with the c: drive letter name or something , I did get a warning saying something about that.

I'm not 100% computer-stupid, but I'm more of a violinist, to be honest.

I can get the floppy drive (!) to load, and the windows start up floppy does load the diagnostics , but I get the DOS A: drive and it won't let me run setup in DOS,

apparently.

It won't start up in safe mode, or any windows mode.

There's nothing mission critical on the computer, just some old pictures and files, but I'd like to get some few things back if possible.

No worries on the help. I appreciate anything and thanks a lot in advance .

Edit: tried to run autoexec from the A drive, it tries to start the computer but goes back to A: drive / dos command line.

Could there be a partition problem with the c drive ?

Edited by bigjohn60, 20 February 2016 - 10:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 09:17 AM

Boot from the floppy and put in your Windows cd (or any cd really) and run the following commands, pressing enter after each one:

C:

If the Dos prompt changes to C:\> then your C: drive is being recognized. Next try:

dir /p

This tells the pc to list the contents of the C: drive. If its recognized you should see a list of files and folders. The /p switch tells the pc to show one page at a time, by pressing enter you can go through the whole list.

You can also do the same thing by changing A:\> to D: for the cd drive.

Another check you can do is to enter the bios or setup and look to see what is listed as the primary master or hard drive. If you can't see the hard drive listed there (it should show a model number) its not being recognized by the bios and is probably dead.

If that's the case, get out your violin and play something sad. :flowers:

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:47 PM

In addition to Leurgy's good advice above, I suggest trying to reset the CMOS back to factory default;

>First, power down. Unplug the power cable. Press the Power-On switch and hold it in for 10 seconds.

>Remove the CMOS battery, wait 5 minutes, reinstall it (pay attention to polarity, do not reverse it) and try to boot.

[EDIT]: Ooops, I forgot: If worst comes to worst, you can remove your HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and slave it to a different computer to get your data off of it. Another option is to use a Linux distro that will boot into memory, and you can easily access your HDD and remove the data that way. Both of these methods assume that your HDD has not failed mechanically, if it has there is nothing that can be done. HOWEVER.... you can get another IDE drive and reinstall Windows. So....don't throw that box away, there are gamers that would like to have it to play old games that will not run on modern systems (if you don't want it any more). 

Edited by ranchhand_, 26 February 2016 - 03:55 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users