Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer shuts down without warning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jabromaitis

Jabromaitis

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:19 PM

So I've been having the same problem as some other people in this forum I've noticed. I just bought a whole bunch of new components and used a few from my old PC, pretty much just the PSU being the only one of significance. Everything seems to be working fine normally but every now and again I'll be in a game and the whole PC just shuts off without warning. I've tried using WhoCrashed but there are no logs being made of these crashes. I only have errors on windows reporting saying windows was not shut down properly. But it is a catch all error and I don't know if it's stemming from heat issues, hardware issues, or power issues. Or if it could be something besides those. Here is what I can tell you: It only happens when I'm in a game, although that is 99% of the time since I almost exclusively game. But never when I'm on my browser or watching movies. Also, I have run memtests and my RAM appears to be all right. I thought it might be a power problem because although I have an 850 watt PSU, it is a corsair (Corsair HX850W) and I heard some people saying they are not very good? I would get a new PSU if I was sure it was that, but I'd like to be sure. I have many monitoring programs like OCCT, WhoCrashed, Speccy, RealTemp, and CPUID hardware monitor, OpenHarddwareMonitor, and Prime 95. Let me know if you want screenshots or log from any if that helps. Here is my speccy profile: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/bpZfMwd6a1BRgmmRlESRtfp

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheCyberGhosT

TheCyberGhosT

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 05:24 AM

(If you are using nVidia) Roll your Video Card driver back to the 361.6 something and see if that helps. I just got a EVGA 950 ssc and installed it 4 days ago, but before that I was having crashes (un-identified) with my dual GTX 480's and after a driver rollback it stopped. Hope you get it solved. PeAcE

PS remember to use something like Ccleaner to cleanup and do a clean driver install.

Edited by TheCyberGhosT, 21 February 2016 - 05:26 AM.

#3 Gorbulan

Gorbulan

• Members
  • 832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 PM

Posted 23 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

Do not use CClearner to do a clean driver install. It will not help with video card drivers. What you want is Wagnard's Display Driver Uninstaller. Available here.

If you have a computer that suddenly shutsdown, like no BSOD just sudden power loss, it is almost always the PSU. It can be the mobo, but it is not as likely.

Corsair is apparently not a very good brand, at least anymore. I have been having problems with my Corsair PSU recently, and my friend had to warranty his. It was about a month old.

#4 Raxx425

Raxx425

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 22 March 2016 - 05:44 AM

How old is that PSU? if it came from the old PC build then at this point it may need to be replaced.  This issue sounds like a PSU problem or as Gorbulan pointed out it could be driver related.  Usually though a driver related problem will give a BSOD before just shutting your computer down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users