Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wifi puzzle

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 westinator

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:14 PM

Make and model of computer: OS X, Win 7-10, Android, iOS, more

How the computer is connected (wireless or wired): wireless

Make and model of Router: unknown/not applicable

Approximate Distance From the router the PC is if its a wireless connection: unknown/not applicable

What type of internet you have (Dsl, Cable, T-1,etc..): Cable

Hi guys, the situation is this: I want to connect my phone to my school’s wifi network and use the internet. The network is unprotected (no WPA/WPA2 password or anything) but while laptops can use it to connect to the internet, mobile phones cannot.

The IT department doesn’t want students to use mobiles on the wifi network. They have not said anything about the issue, but a friendly teacher has said that she thinks the IT department is somehow blocking mobile phones from using the network. I’ve read through all of their acceptable use agreements and using a mobile phone on the school’s network is not explicitly prohibited (and there’s no whitelist of specific devices that are allowed to use the network).

Some observations:

Friend’s old Ipod Touch connects

Phones don’t work Either shows “obtaining IP address” forever, or connects successfully and then says “internet unavailable on schoolnetwork” (Android)

laptops connect

Mac internet sharing - phones don’t connect

MAC spoofing - laptop still connects

no whitelist/registry of devices

using VPN - laptop still connects(VPN is PIA)

School doesn’t want mobiles to connect - how are they preventing it? Maybe the network is able to identify mobile phones and deny them internet access? Help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:39 PM

Why don't you talk to the IT department?

#3 Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:09 PM

The IT department, for whatever reason, does not want phones to connect to it.

Because that is their policy, we cannot help you by answering your questions-answers which could potentially help you get around the prohibition.

Bleeping Computer rules state

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users