Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer very slow to boot up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phoenix20

Phoenix20

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:09 PM

I use Windows 7.  Recently, my computer started to take nearly 2 minutes to boot up. After doing a defrag and cleanup, and running CCleaner, I uninstalled AVG as that took up most of my CPU at startup, and replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials, but my computer is still quite slow. Glary Utilities Startup Manager stated 119 programs started on Windows startup or a user logs in, and that it took 60 seconds to boot up.  I have disabled most of the startup programs, but I don't know if I need all the 62 Scheduled Tasks that are listed in the Startup Manager. Could you please tell me which ones, if any, I could disable. They are:

BfeOnService StartTypeChange
GoogleUpdateTask MachineCore
GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA
SqmUpload_S-1-5-21-1275210071-13900673
SR
MpIdeleTask
ActivateWindowsSearch
Adobe Acrobat Update Task
Adobe Flash Player
AnalyzeSystem
CCleanerSkipUAC
ConfigNotification
ConfigureInternetTimeService
DispatchRecoveryTasks
ehDRMinit
GatherNetworkInfo
HP Active Health Launcher
HP Support Quick Start
HP Support Solutions Framework Report
HP Support Solutions Framework Updater
HPCeeScheduleForOwner
InstallPlayReady
mcupdate
MediaCenterRecoveryTask
Notifications
ObjectStoreRecoveryTask
OCURActivate
OCURDiscovery
PBDADiscovery
PBDADiscoveryW1
PBDADiscoveryW2
PC Health Analysis
ProgramDataUpdater
PvrRecoveryTask
PvrScheduleTask
QueueReporting
refreshgwxconfig
refreshgwxconfig-B
refreshgwxconfigandcontent
refreshgwxcontent
RegisterSearch
ReindexSearchRoot
RemoteAssistanceTask
SqlLiteRecoveryTask
StartRecording
SynchronizeTime
UninstallDeviceTask
UpdateLibrary
UpdateRecordPath
UPnHostConfig
User_Feed_Synchronization{44424957-F2D...
User_Feed_Synchronization{*FB0FA2D-281...

I'm assuming that the 45 Windows Services that also start at startup are necessary?  Any advice will be most gratefully accepted. :)

Edited by hamluis, 25 February 2016 - 12:32 PM.
Moved from Startup Database to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 06:59 PM

...I uninstalled AVG as that took up most of my CPU at startup, and replaced it with Windows Security Essentials...

Just something I noticed.  I hope you haven't really installed Windows Security Essentials because it looks like such a product exists and it is not the same as Microsoft Security Essentials.  I certainly will not trust a product that intentionally chooses a name so similar to the genuine product and be so bold-faced as to steal the logo too!

#3 Phoenix20

Phoenix20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 03:15 AM

Sorry, Agouti - my mistake.  It was Microsoft Security Essentials I installed and not Windows Security Essentials. I wonder if there is any way I can edit my original post to correct this.  :scratchhead:   

#4 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:45 AM

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:24 AM

I wonder if there is any way I can edit my original post to correct this.  :scratchhead:   

It shouldn't be necessary to edit your post since anyone reading this thread will see the subsequent posts.  But yes, there is a limited time (I'm not sure how long) in which you can edit your post.  The "Edit" button is almost invisible but if you look closely near the bottom right of the post you'll see it...

u8LB7ye.png

#5 Phoenix20

Phoenix20
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:45 PM

Thanks for that, Agouti.  I have edited it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users