Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop fan stopped spinning.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 billymins

billymins

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:56 PM

Recently I was experiencing issues with my laptop overheating. I realized that the fan had stopped working.

I opened the laptop to see what was wrong but found nothing wrong other than some dust which i cleaned up. The fan was in perfect condition and spinned freely when I gave it a push with my finger. After cleaning, I reassembled the laptop and powered it on, the fan would still not spin, until a couple of hours passed and the fan started to spin on its own.

For 2 days the fan was working great, until it stopped again. I opened the laptop once again to see what was wrong and after powering it on, this time having vision of the fan,  it would move slightly forward then immediatly backwards and then it would stay stationary. Short of a twiching action. This action was repeated every 5 seconds, like the computer was telling it to spin and it would refuse.

In an attempt to see if the fault is in the fan or in the computer (software or hardware), i plugged the fan in another laptop, powered it on and it worked like a charm! So i assumed the issue was on the laptop's fan socket or that it was a software issue.
The funny thing is that when i plugged the fan back to the laptop for one last time, to see if it is still not working, it started spinning and working correctly! wow! I stood up screaming "I AM THE GOD OF ELECTRONICS" haha.

But guess why I'm typing this here... Yes that is right. THE FAN STOPPED SPINNING AGAIN!!!
I am so frustrated and i am yet to find a solution to this problem, any help is appreciated. Thank you for your time!

P.S. When I say overheating, i mean that the laptop shuts down because of the really high temperatures!! I can fry eggs on this thing when gaming.

My Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5552g.
Specs:
http://www.lapspecs.com/detail/acer+aspire+5552g

Edited by billymins, 20 February 2016 - 04:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 billymins

billymins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:59 PM

Update: Fan started spinning again, just randomly. I think it has to do with the position of the laptop, i just layed in bed and held it in an upright position so that it gets more contact with air and it doesn't get as hot, and it started spinning. the last time it worked was in the same position  if it happens again i'll let you know :D cheers! Time for some League of Legends!

#3 billymins

billymins
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:10 PM

guess what! It stopped again. arghhhh i guess i need to buy a new fan. and stop talking to myself. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users