Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Not Working Help!

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 disneycast

disneycast

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:23 AM

I just built my computer that I have been planning and prepping for for months. Well the audio doesn't work and now it won't turn on. It makes five beeps and then the monitor goes into idle. Typically the monitor says no connection when it starts up, which is no problem because it then says DVI, but now it just goes into standby. It used to work fine (with the exception of audio) and now it just won't start. I figure it's probably the processor but i am not sure. Everything gets power: the fans, heatsink/fan, optical drive. It's just ridiculous. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated.

Parts:
AMD FX X2 4800
Corsair 2 Gb DDR PC 3200 Dual Channel
NEC DVD/CD Combo drive
XFX Geforce 7900 GT
Asus A8N-SLI premium or deluxe
WD 250 GB Hard drive
Vison 17" LCD
Antec 500W PSU

Edited by jgweed, 31 July 2006 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 03:53 PM

Do you happen to know the BIOS manufacturer? You might see it on the boot up screen, or in your motherboard book.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#3 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 PM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

First of all Nice Rig,

Second of all here is a site I found googling around. It gives the signification of the beebs http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

Looking thru it often suggests making sure stuff is secure. I suggest you do this go thru the system and make sure everything is well seated maybe something came a little loose.

Here is something else I found on the ASUS site... You could maybe read thru it and see if that helps... http://support.asus.com/troubleshooting/tr...SLanguage=en-us

Edited by Klinkaroo, 31 July 2006 - 06:49 PM.

#4 disneycast

disneycast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 09:52 PM

Well I tried what you had said (Klinkaroo) and it works but now there is only one beep and i cant dont know if its for the start up beep or the beep-o-death. Please help. I don't want to damage it seeing as how i havent sent in all of the warranty cards yet. And any help with the audio would be great. It just won't function. I dont have a soundcard because i just don't have the cash right now and because i have a pair of Pioneer SE-DIR800C headphones that are wireless and Dolby 5.1 surround sound(reg priced at 475, i got em at 250). I figured the nforce 2 chipsets had good sound (dolby) and so why not just go with the Realtek. Doesn't even recognize when i plug headphones/speakers in front I/O or back panel.

#5 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 31 July 2006 - 10:36 PM

For the sound you might need to install some additonal drivers.

For the beep looking at the beep codes I think it is just a startup beep... Is this a long beep or just a quick beep probably right after the system check or something before the windows screen somewhere in that area...

#6 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:14 AM

I'm not sure what the beep codes are for your bios and I'm too lazy to look, but whenever I mess with the insides my computer and it starts to beep, its almost always the ram. I take it out and reseat it and it works! Might not be your problem though. If it was formerly working and you don't see anything on the screen, it's most likely just a hardware problem. Strip it down to the nessesities (cpu, ram, vid card, etc) and try it. If it still doesn't work, switch out parts to find the problem part. I bet it's the ram though. Ram is evil. If you messed with your bios before it broke, they might be corrupt.

#7 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 01 August 2006 - 12:20 AM

For my nforce3 board, I had a sound problem too. I found out that there is some jumpers inside that routed the sound to a front-of-case audio jack, which I didn't have. I just stuck on some jumpers and it re-routed it to the back. The proper jumper configurations should be in the manual. I then updated the realtek drivers and everything is fine.

#8 disneycast

disneycast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 05:58 AM

My audio problem is just awful. The mobo has a function that detects if there is anything plugged into the back audio ports and there is no detection. My front I/O won't work either. I installed all of the drivers but will check again. The beep is just a short beep, most likely start up bc there's nothing wrong so far. Another weird question: what would work better: A hacked copy of 2003 Norton or AVG?

#9 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:14 AM

AVG Free works better than Norton -
whether Norton is hacked or not - it is still a problematic resource hog.

What audio adapter do you have? Is it even installed?
(Do you see a speaker icon in the tray near the clock?)

Look in your device manager under sound, video and game controllers and see if you have any yellow or red warning icons or if the sound adapter (something like AC/97 audio or similar) is missing.

#10 disneycast

disneycast
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

if by audio adapter you mean soundcard....then no. I spent all my money on the rest of the gear.

#11 Klinkaroo

Klinkaroo

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  

Posted 01 August 2006 - 10:46 AM

When you install the drivers go and download the new ones for the Nvidia site (or the maker of your motherboard's site) then you will have the latest update with any kind of updates they may have.

For the beep I highly think it's just a startup beep. I can't find anything in the beep codes for a short one just long ones... I would say that you computer is fine exect for the audio problem...

Edited by Klinkaroo, 01 August 2006 - 10:47 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users