Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unauthorized Workgroup Network Auto-Signed Into Computer - Please Help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 mjames0

mjames0

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:48 PM

Hello Everyone,

First off, I'd like to say Thanks in advance to those of you taking the time out to read and/or reply to my post - any help/advice received would be so greatly appreciated... (new dell desktop, pre-installed OS, Windows-10 Home edition)

Ok, so, my computer is automatically connected to an unauthorized/unknown WORKGROUP network - which I believe is a malicious connection. On top of the connection being a persistent login, the settings seem to be locked in as well, preventing edits/changes. Could this be malware related? If so, is it possible to regain control, and prevent future threats?

At first, I figured that maybe all Win-10 home pre-installed OS's just connected to WG's by default; however, I tested my theory in two different computer stores, but this wasn't the case for any of their systems with home edition installed. At some point I reached out to Microsoft tech support (which I can't afford right now) - they were uncertain, but suggested, for hundreds, that I allow them to tweak some registry keys and/or system32 settings.

Lost so far, so I'd really appreciate all the help I can get... please let me know if there are any other details that would be useful.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:34 PM

You need to provide more detail.  What Workgroup is shown on your System dialog under Control Panel.  The default workgroup is WORKGROUP and there is no way to remove that.  You can choose to rename your workgroup to something else, but that's it.

I don't know what you mean by "persistent login" in this context either.

For the most part, Windows 7 and later in particular uses HomeGroup to manage local networking far more frequently than Work group, which was left mainly as a backward compatibility mechanism for LANs that had XP machines on them.

Although I've changed my workgroup name just because that was my longstanding habit all networking/sharing on my LAN among my Windows machines is now done via the Home Group mechanism.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users