Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Data Retrieval

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rozdad

rozdad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 31 July 2006 - 06:56 AM

I am looking for some way to retrieve data from the harddrive of a compter. I need some sort of a data retrieval program that can recover Microsoft word, excel, powerpoint, publisher files. Also picture files and mp3 files.
My computer runs fine; however complete folders of files in My Documents are gone. Using Search shows the files are not on the HD.
Crying in PA,
RozDad :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 02 August 2006 - 01:24 AM

Try FreeUnDelete 2.0. If you are still using the computer there is a good chance you may have over written the file. But the worst that can happen at this point is you do not recover the files.

Good luck.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 wildhorsemom

wildhorsemom

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:16 PM

You know, a similar thing happened to me. This, after things began snowballing, and the stupid devil box began doing screwy things more than it usually does.

my entire "My Pictures" file disappeared-- or so we thought-- without a trace. Couldn't access any of our digital photos in our Kodak Easyshare program either. The error message Kodak gave me was that the files had been moved. I stumbled across them in another place-- C:\WINDOWS\TEMP, I think it was, all renamed wih humongous numerical tags that made no sense. When I went to open them, they were all as tiny as the thumbnails. Not only did I find my pics, I also found approx. 15,000+photos and images and .GIFs that we never stored, and I don't know who ANY of the people in the photos are!!! We only had 3,000 images max altogether on our files....where the hell did all the rest of this stuff come from?? And how did my files all get moved and renamed??? (And, that happened BEFORE I did any of the spyware cleaning/tracking programs and chores I've done....a lot of that with little success.)

Still dealing with a few Trojans and viruses (most of the viruses in Java files), and wanting to try a file recovery program to move my photos, at least ,back to where they belong.

We'll see! Let me know if something works for your recovery!

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 10 September 2006 - 11:26 PM

There is also, technically, a small chance that the files are hidden... Go to a folder and then go to folder options and show the hidden files... See how that goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users