Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

All excel files can't be located

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 godzilla1347

godzilla1347

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:58 PM

I am running Excel 2007 on a Dell XPS desktop using Windows vista. I had excel open and when I came back to my computer, I had noticed it had rebooted. When I tried to open Excel files I got this message: windows cannot find <name of file>. I had noticed this was also the case with excel files in my thumb drive attached to the computer's USB port. When trying to create a new excel file, I get the same error message. Word files work fine as well as Internet applications. My assumption is that Excel got corrupted (which is a crisis for me because I have my business and tax files on Excel and on that thumb drive as a backup).

So unless there's something else involved, I would have to reinstall Excel. If that is the case, the problem I have is that I got this computer from my Brother-in-law and have all the installation discs that come with it including the operation disk but that only re-installs windows. I don't see a windows office disk and thus I assume Office was installed by the retailer when he had purchased the system. 

I would think that there would be a backup of excel on this system that I could access as well as a file that would have the activation code but have no idea where it is. Not sure what to do.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:31 PM

Solved. I found this great post that explains the problem and easily solved it.  https://www.avianwaves.com/Blog/entryid/62/Excel-2007-Windows-Cannot-Find-lt-filename-gt-but-you-KNOW-the-file-exists.aspx

You have to uncheck "Ignore other applications that use Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE)  in the general tab under Advanced in Excel options. I have no idea what all this means and why it works but I'm thrilled as I thought I would have to go out an purchase a new copy of excel.

But that leaves one more question; suppose my excel files do get corrupted and I have to reinstall the program. Being that an Excel disc didn't come with this computer and Office was installed by the retailer, i would imagine that a backup file would exist on this computer. I would assume that the access code is also stored on this computer. 

The question then is Where would I find the backup file for Excel and the file that has the access code on this computer.  It is a Windows Vista system running on an Dell XPS desktop as indicated above.

#3 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:10 PM

I doubt very much that Microsoft Office came pre-installed on the computer from new.  However, the easiest way to confirm that is to ask your brother-in-law.  AFAIK, Microsoft Office does not install a "backup" file.  Also, by "access code" I suppose you must be referring to the Microsoft Office License Key?  If so, you can recover the key with ProduKey.

#4 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 12:49 AM

I should have been clearer. No, you are correct, Microsoft Office was added by the retailer when my brother-in-law purchased the system. Now that I have Excel working properly again, I'm concerned what to do if it should get corrupted. There was no Office Disk provided so office had to be installed by the retailer.  The question then is if it does get corrupted and there was no original disk, you are saying there is no backup file. So is there something you can do to restore the software or make a copy of it on my system? Being it was purchased, I should have the right to do that.  And thanks for that Produkey link. I was able to extract the Microsoft office License Key.

This is one of the reasons I like to purchase the disks for the software instead of having them installed by the retailer. If I knew more, I would probably know a way to answer my own question but it dawned upon me once I couldn't locate any Excel files that I had no protection if Excel got corrupted as I had no backup disk.

Now that everything is working fine, is there a way to create a backup for Excel on this system? If not, it would seem crazy to have a retailer install the program without giving you any way of restoring it should it get corrupted.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 08:56 AM

There was no Office Disk provided so office had to be installed by the retailer.

That sounds like you are making an assumption rather than knowing for sure.

Anyway, have a look at the following page...

Scroll down a bit and you will see a link that directs you to the download page.

#6 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 02:44 PM

Thanks so much, that download link would do the job.  My Brother-in-law gave me everything that came with the computer and there was no Office disk.  In any case, that link would come in handy if my office application ever gets corrupted.

#7 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:15 PM

If you are as concerned as you sound, you should probably download the setup file and keep it in a safe place.  Links and download locations aren't set in stone.  They can change any time.

#8 godzilla1347

godzilla1347
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 347 posts
  •  

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:45 PM

Good point

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users