Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using recovery disk but says can't find cd rom drive

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 ebsgirl

ebsgirl

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:46 PM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:20 PM

Hi...I've had many issues with blue screen on computer. Changed power supply and thought it helped. Decided to factory reset it to let the kids have it (we got new computer for ourselves) used utility to do system recovery and it shut down half way through with blue screen
Now I'm prompted to insert Windows disc for install (I have Windows Vista home premium) It starts to install then I get message: Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available and restart installation. Error code 0x800703E7.

Only other thing I've tried is a complete restore with quick restore disc...but it says it can't find cdrom drive to complete. I'm now at a complete loss on what to do to compete factory reset and get it up and going. Any help would be appreciated.

Compaq presario
SR5710Y
Processor AMD ATHLON X2 4450e
Dual core processor
Memory 3GB
Hard drive 250 GB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 03:19 PM

Have you tried tapping F11 at boot to access HP's Factory Reset?

#3 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

Yes...it has no effect and just goes to screen that says boot manager...insert Windows installation disc and restart your computer. Only thing I can access is F10 setup

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:25 PM

It may be possible the optical drive is bad. There is a way to take the Windows Vista installation disk and convert it to a bootable USB flash drive. On another computer download and install Imgburn. Opt out of any optional programs it asks you to install. Load the Vista install DVD and create an iso image of the DVD install disk. Use a write and read speed of no faster than 4X.

Attach a USB flash drive to the computer you downloaded the iso to. Download and run Rufus. Your USB flash drive should be listed. Select MBR for a partition scheme. Leave all boxes as checked including Quick Format. Where you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click on the folder icon, and browse to the iso image of your Windows Vista DVD disk you created.

Attach the USB flash drive to the Compaq and boot. You may need to change the boot sequence in BIOS to show USB as the first boot device. Some Compaq's will show a boot menu when you tap Esc at boot.

Will the computer only be used for basic browsing and email? The reason I ask is because you could put a linux distro like Mint or Ubuntu on this computer and it would run very well. Most Windows programs have linux equivalents. Some specialty Windows programs are not available on linux. Mint is the easiest to pick up coming from Windows. If the above USB flash drive does not work, you may want to look at this alternative.

#5 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:35 PM

Ok great...Thank you. I will try what you suggested and update once compete.
And I would imagine that yes, just need basic functions for kids...browsing, light games, nothing major. Thank you for the alternative. I will update

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 04:40 PM

If you BIOS is like my Compaq you can access the boot menu priority under System Configuration. Use the Arrow keys to highlight Boot Order and press Enter.

You may not need to change boot order as pressing Esc at boot will give you a menu. Then press F9 to select your boot device which will be the attached USB flash drive. You can probably tap F9 at boot and it will give you the boot menu straight away.

#7 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:24 PM

Ok so went through steps....when trying to use rufus I followed your steps. But when I click start to do it...it comes up with error access to device is denied

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:32 PM

With the USB flash drive attached to the computer, can you add or delete files from it? Are you doing this in an admin account? I never ran into that rufus error before. How big is the USB flash drive? Your flash drive is shown in Rufus, correct?

Edit: Did you copy the iso to the USB flash drive? If you did then move it to the desktop of the computer

Edit Edit: If you did not have the iso on the flash drive, start Rufus again. When it says access denied click the log button. Copy and post the results. Also, if you have any data on the flash drive, back it up because it will be erased.

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 February 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#9 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

Yes I can add and Delete files. Yes, usb flash drive shows in rufus. I did copy the iso to the flash drive. I am currently moving it to desk top. I am trying now. I will update

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:56 PM

That was the problem, you cannot create the bootable flash drive if the iso is on flash drive.

#11 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:57 PM

Now it comes up with F:\ is not accessible access is debuted
*denied not debuted

#12 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:58 PM

Sorry for premature reply...as soon as I closed the error box it continued its copying...I will update when done

#13 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:22 PM

Ok I can't get through the installation of Windows without the computer crashing to blue screen. I'm wondering if I can do iso of my quick restore disc I have and get it tho run through usb? Would you recommend trying that?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,448 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:26 PM

You can try that. There may be a problem with your memory or hard drive. If the the quick restore disk does not work there are isos that can check your memory and hard drive. 

If you tap Esc at boot is there an option to do diagnostics?

#15 ebsgirl

ebsgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

No, there are no options to do a diagnostics from the boot menu. When i restart, on screen where it tells me that I need to install windows, there is the option for windows memory diagnostics there. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users