Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best well-selected, well-balanced security software suite

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GataPandu

GataPandu

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

Articles like http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/09/security-wares-like-kaspersky-av-can-make-you-more-vulnerable-to-attacks/ show that security wares themselves exhibit vulnerabilities. That is not surprising, as security ware is non-perfect software after all. The upshot is that security wares that you install in your computer not only increases your security but also increases your vulnerabilities.

There can thus be something like too much security ware, as that would incur too much vulnerabilities. (This issue is different from duplication of AVs and similar misconfigurations)

The subsequent issue then is, what limited number of security wares should you select for maximum protection?

Let's assume prudent computing habits behind a residential router/WAP with strong passwords, i.e. prudent email/browser/Internet habits with the user being reasonably aware of computer/Internet security, however, without the user being a security expert.

In such a 'prudent' scenario:  How does a well-selected, well-balanced security software suite look like?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,519 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 02:14 PM

Dunno.  Like purchasing fleet cars, each company has to decide what is the best vehicle/what are the best vehicles -- for them.  Based on my reading here, there is no one best well-balanced security software suite.  I suppose internet security suites such as Avira, AVG, Avast, Comodo, Kaspersky, McAfee, Norton, and so many others would disagree -- however, I like what Quietman7 always posts:  end user is the primary and most important component, with several programs from several sources completing the picture.

Edited by RolandJS, 20 February 2016 - 02:14 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:50 PM

...there is no one best well-balanced security software suite.

Correct... there is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone. A particular setup that works well for one person may not work as well for another. Folks may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

But it is important to use an anti-malware program with your anti-virus, practice safe computing and stay informed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 GataPandu

GataPandu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 24 February 2016 - 03:17 AM

Thanks for the comments, folks!

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 24 February 2016 - 06:46 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users