Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Purchase template: dekstop is dying, can't live without internet

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Arisayma

Arisayma

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

Laptop or Desktop? DESKTOP

My budget for the new computer is: $200 INCLUDING COST OF SERVICE PLAN/DELIVERY, $250 ONLY FOR SOMETHING W/LONGEVITY

What are the primary uses for this computer (IE: mail, web browsing, programming, games, etc)?  EMAIL, MESSAGE BOARDS, FB, ONLINE BANKING/SHOPPING AND PHONE (SKYPE)

What software do you intend on using on the computer? IF THIS MEANS OS, WINDOWS 7 OR WHATEVER IT COMES WITH

Do you play games? If so, what type of games? NO NEVER

Do you tend to have a lot of programs running at the same time, or do you close every program when you are done using it? I KEEP SEVERAL WINDOWS OPEN BUT DON'T HAVE TO

Do you store a lot of pictures or music on the computer? YES

Will you be overclocking? PROBABLY NOT SINCE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT THAT MEANS

Location for online shopping/shipment/prices? NH, USA

How many monitors are you planning to use? ONE

Do you need peripherals? OS? I HAVE A MONITOR, KEYBOARD, MOUSE, SPEAKERS, NEED OS AND TOWER

Any particular reason why you are upgrading? NOT NECESSARILY UPGRADING, JUST MUST HAVE WORKING COMPUTER AS IT'S MY LIFELINE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Current PC is a refurbished Dell Optiplex 755 that had a 3 yr service plan thru Walmart. It's now 6 mos past warranty and HD is dying/clicking

i was looking at the same thing only with more RAM added also thru Walmart but the service plan option "disappeared". I can't risk getting something without a service plan.

I do NOT Drive, have an extremely low income (25% below the poverty level) Free delivery and a good service plan is important. I don't care if the computer is a dinosaur, so long as it is reliable and cheap and can be replaced free, if it dies in less than 2-3 yrs.

I know I'm asking for a lot but I've managed to get a PC every 3-4 yrs doing it this way. Every single one has been under $200 and had at least 2 yrs service plan and they all lasted 6mos to 18 mos past the warranty.

PLEASE HELP! this old lady needs her FB friends and online banking and email.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Arisayma

Arisayma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

PLEASE HELP ME NARROW IT DOWN BETWEEN THESE 3 CHOICES!!

please don't be put off by the fact that I need the cheapest poc I can find, I have to have something....

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-Dell-390-D-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Core-i5-2400-Processor-4GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Professional-Monitor-Not-Included/49333291

It's more than I want to spend but I can get up to 4yrs service plan

or this one?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Refurbished-HP-Compaq-8000-Desktop-PC-with-Intel-Core-2-Duo-Processor-4GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Professional-Monitor-Not-Included/49122971

cheaper, but can't get more than 2yrs plan on this one!!

here's one more, but it's got a processor I've never heard of....?

http://www.walmart.com/ip/HP-Refurbished-Black-6005-Pro-Desktop-PC-with-AMD-Athlon-II-X2-Processor-4GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-and-Windows-7-Professional-Monitor-Not-Included/23325250?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=23325250&placement_id=irs-2-b1&strategy=PWVAV&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=0cffe87e-b599-4e03-abff-8accb84bda2d&customer_id_enc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=19900544&parent_anchor_item_id=19900544&guid=5c1bb83c-831c-42f0-8076-05573ad551e5&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

Edited by Arisayma, 20 February 2016 - 01:38 PM.

#3 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:11 PM

Option 1 is what I would pick. It uses more recent parts and should be faster and last longer.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#4 Arisayma

Arisayma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 February 2016 - 09:19 PM

thanks! that's what I ended up ordering. I wasn't finding anything better in the same price range

hopefully by the time this next refurb dies, I'll be able to get some thing  a bit better

ouch, why aren't the prices of these going down? I mean, don't most ppl use iphones and tablets now? You'd think you could get a desk top super cheap

but then I guess for some ppl under $300 is super cheap....? I can't imagine paying more when you always have to upgrade

:/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users