Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Project

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ItGal

ItGal

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 February 2016 - 12:33 PM

I have a Networking Project to do where I need to find out what would be needed to do a Network upgrade. I need to list the components and prices. It is for a Museum that has 10 workstations that supply multimedia to exhibits, 7 office employees who have duties to fulfill.

At present the LAN was installed in 1999. It uses small, outdated switches that only deliver 10 Mbps throughput to each client.

The equipment has to be high quality and be obtained from reputable suppliers like the device manufacturers.

I need Brand New Connectivity Devices, NICs, and Cabling and a total cost. Who can help me?

Thank you all :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 22 February 2016 - 02:19 PM

You can probably use the existing wiring and go to 100, that will save you a ton.  Last I priced network runs they were $400 per run.

How old are the clients?  They may already have updated NICs and you only need to update your hubs or switches.

What is your budget?

How fast do you want to go?

#3 ItGal

ItGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 02:15 PM

Its for a Children's Museum. There is lots of media at the exhibits so I need something that can hold up. I would like to stick below $10,000 for this project if possible. I already pretty much know what I need, I just do not know how to go about picking out the correct thing to buy. I know I need Cat 5 cabling, RJ-45 plugs, a Router, a 20 port Switch or two 10 port Switches. Thats all I have for now but I have no idea where to go from here or what to buy. How do I know if I am buying the right thing?

#4 ItGal

ItGal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 February 2016 - 09:17 PM

I finished this. You can close this if you want.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:21 AM

What did you end up doing?  How much did it cost?  This information would be helpful to others who are looking to do the same, or similar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users